1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we show?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by jcbobo, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcbobo

jcbobo Boxer Buddy

We are doing a dog obedience 6 week class with our 4 month old boy. They group running the obedience classes have a long history of showing, training, etc... From our first class they have been in awe if our puppy. They say he has the perfect markings, great color, and demeanor and that we should look into showing. We planned to get him fixed at 6 months but now in kind of curious about this showing stuff. They said its a lot of politics and very expensive. I'm not interested in the money, but was curious if the breeding fees even out the showing costs if you win? I would love to say that we've accomplished this but will be getting him fixed at 6 months if we truely don't plan to explore this option. Can anybody give me some info on all this and what I should look into next?

2. SaharaNight

SaharaNight Boxer Buddy

Sorry this is extremely late.

I highly doubt those doing a general obedience class really know much about the Boxer standard. Where did you get his from? That would probably be a good idea if he's show quality or not, not always of course, but a good indicator. It is expensive and political I will admit. I'm showing my natural boy and it's terrible. Some judges will just forget about his while others are ok with it. Is he cropped?

Either way I wouldn't neuter at 6 months. It's way too young for me personally. I want their growth plates to close and would wait until at least 18 months.

bxrbgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.