Status
Not open for further replies.

otismom&dad

Boxer Pal
hi
I am a very luckey boxer mom,
I have an almost 4 year old boy and a two year old girl
I am so luckey in fact that my little girl has seasonal alopecia,
only specific to boxers and bulldogs, this poor beauty is missing fur on her left flank and has dark patches on her right flank. I have read up on the disorder and the vet was excited when he seen it, i guess it hadd been a while since he had seen it, he showed me text books and said the fur would grow back in a couple of months. the treatment for this is sun.... so my angle suntans a couple of hours a day. Does anyone have any other suggestions.
thank you
Otis flash brindle almost 4
sadie fawn 2 and bald:)

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
LOL - I like vets who get excited by conditions :D There are quite a few cases every year on these forums. Several photos in the gallery too :)

As for what to do about it, at this point, I'd say nothing. Just let it self-correct (and it will be on the way to it already).

For next year though, there are a few things you can do that might help avoid a re-run. As you note, it's sunlight related. Actually, it's thought to be caused by insufficient melatonin production - a hormone that controls/influences metabolism. Melatonin production is triggered by sunlight ;) So insufficient sunlight/exposure to natural light may well be the cause. It's worth noting also though, that although production of melatonin is triggered by sunlight, it's actually produced by the body only during the hours of darkness. Thus, a secondary problem during the winter months is the number of hours the dog is not in either natural light, nor in the dark. Instead, most of their time is spent under artificial lighting.

Anyway, you may be able to stop or reduce the problem by trying to ensure that she gets plenty time in natural light, and in real darkness, during the autumn and winter next year. You could also consider melatonin supplementation - seems to work in some cases.

heidiho

Super Boxer
You could also try supplementing with salmon oil. I give Palmer a product called Derma pet (I think that's what it's called) His coat is now so silky soft and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.