Searching for breeders near Pittsburgh, PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pghchris

Boxer Pal
Hey everyone,

I am looking for breeders in and around the Pittsburgh, PA area. Maybe within 100 miles or so. Is there some secret website that I do not know about to find boxer breeders? I am having a hard time finding them. Perhaps I am not looking in the right places. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first boxer, or dog for that matter. I am excited and anxious to finally find the puppy of my dreams.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

P.S. I am new to Boxer World and am really enjoying reading other posts. This is a great learning tool which I will use quite a bit. I am loving all of the training and obedience questions, as well as looking at all of the photos of the fellow member's boxers. I can't wait to add some of my own, hopefully sooner than later.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
It is against the site rules to discuss specific breeders... but I can try to point you in the right direction. :)

The best way to find a good breeder is through a local boxer club. The American Boxer Club website has a list of US Boxer Clubs -- there might be more than one near you.
American Boxer Club: U.S. Boxer Clubs

You can try the contact info provided on that list to inquire about puppies, or you can visit the individual clubs' websites to find contact info. Some club sites have a specific contact email or phone number just for puppy inquiries. This is probably your best bet. Some club sites provide links to their members' websites also, and you can contact individual breeders. If one person doesn't currently have puppies they might know of someone who does.

Many boxer clubs and breeders don't update their websites frequently, so don't expect to see sites with litter announcements, and don't get too excited if you see one, because it may be several years old. Just use the email addresses and phone numbers provided.

When you find a breeder to buy a puppy from, know what questions to ask -- as well as what kind of answers you want to hear. Do some reading on boxer health issues, health testing that should be performed on all breeding stock, and ethical and unethical breeding practices. Know what things are "red flags" for breeders, and what things are really desirable to have in a breeder. A good place to start is the Boxer FAQ and Health Testing pages... and you can always ask the forum if you have more specific questions. :)
Boxer Dog FAQ - Meet the Boxer
Boxer health testing

Hope that helps!

pghboxers

Boxer Buddy
Pittsburgh is a hard area to find good boxer breeders! I had better luck looking in Ohio when we were looking for a pup, but we ended up adopting in the end from a local rescue instead. Good luck!

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
I'd also check the rescues!!! There seems to be an abundance of boxers now ending up in shelters and rescues - many birthing momma's too. I know people really want that cute little puppy BUT rescuing a young pup (4+ mos old) you not only give a dog a home that otherwise may not live another week, you also help support the rescue in saving many other dogs!

Please consider adoption instead of buying a pup.

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Pgh

We also live in Pgh and had a difficult time. Ohio is over run with Boxers with heart disease and puppy mills. Be very, very careful. We found a wonderful breeder in Richfield, PA

We found the best way to find a reputable breeder was to go to the local dog shows. You missed the closest one in Monroeville the first week of April. This weekend there is one in New Castle. Go meet people, talk and ask appropriate questions. You will meet nice people and people who do not want to give you the time of day if you are looking for pet quality. Many are handlers only and are just there to do a job so they are focused on their dogs. You have to respect that. Take the good, with the bad and the ugly. Cherish the good that you get and run with it. Go with educated questions and ask to meet dogs. We saw some lovely, lovely Boxers locally but they were slow to warm up. And this was not near the ring. it was at the trailer in New Castle with just the owners.

We are currently on a waiting list for a European Boxer from the state of Washington. We will be flying to Seattle when a pup is available that meets our needs.

I wish we were able to make the dog show this year but we have other plans for the holiday.

Maybe we can meet up someday and talk and I will share with you what we have learned and give you some contacts. What part of Pgh are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.