Schutzhund vs other "other sports"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjtorr

Boxer Booster
I went to the local Schutzhund club on the weekend to see how they work. I was surprised at a couple of things - one was that every single dog was wearing either a prong collar or an e-collar. The second was that if the dog wasn't on the field working, it was in a crate in a car (in shade with lots of fresh air - but still).

is this normal for Schutzhund? I was really hoping to participate in this sport, but I refuse to use prong or e-collar.

As alternative, I'm looking into search and rescue or just plain tracking. Which might end up being better as I'm not sure she has the prey drive to excel in Schutzhund anyway.

She is only six months and still has a lot of obedience to get through as well. Lots to work on!

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
I don't compete in Schutzhund, but know people who do. A couple of things...

Good luck finding a club that is not steeped in traditional, punishment/compulsive based training. Of all the sports it is probably the one with the least "positive" practicing participants. There are more positive method people competing but like any pioneers in their field they are face with little support network. Check out Michael Ellis. He's an international competitor and trainer and is probably the most positive one out there.

Choose your club wisely. There is a whole lot of "stuff" to Schutzhund that is NOT bitework. Make sure the club has a culture that values time spent on foundation behaviors. This isn't just the obedience part of the sport, but building a strong relationship between dog and handler, building motivation, and increasing and channeling drive. There are a lot of $h!t trainers and clubs out there that throw dogs on sleeves WAY to early because that is the "showy" aspect of the sport.

As for the dogs in crates thing--that is pretty much standard for all dog sports. When the dogs aren't working they have downtime in the crate. Not all venues allow for crating in the facility. The majority of sport dogs are more comfortable in their crate--it is a clear sign for them that they aren't going to be expected to work and can just chill out. Additionally, many competitors like that if their dogs are in the crate they aren't unnecessarily expending any extra energy--it makes for a fresher, more energetic performance from the dog. Many competitors have multiple dogs as well, so when they are working one dog the others are crated. You're going to find crating in the car or a designated crating area is pretty standard across all dog sports.

Lots of events require that participants volunteer as ring stewards, runners, etc. and so dogs are crated while their handlers are busy. Some clubs offer reduced entry fees in exchange for volunteering to work the event so participants are busy.

Lastly, and probably most importantly to a competitor, you want to check out what other handlers are doing with their dogs in the ring to improve your own handling. What better way than to watch them in action. It is a distraction to the competitors and yourself to have a dog that is all excited to compete standing ringside while someone else is in the ring.

As for the other activities. I wouldn't recommend search & rescue to a beginner handler. It is pretty intense and not an easy one to get your feet wet with. Tracking is a blast! The people I know who do it love it. The only thing is that it can be difficult to do on your own. It is helpful to have network of enthusiasts or a club so that you can get together and lay tracks for each other. If you are in an urban setting it can be tough to find places to work your dog without traveling a distance. New to the scene is "urban tracking" groups. If you are located in an urban area you can see if anyone in your area is offering it.

I can't recommend canine Nosework enough. It is a newer sport, but in the areas that it has taken off it is generally well supported. It is an odor recognition/scent work sport that, once you receive some training in it, is relatively easy to practice by yourself in a variety of place in and around your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.