1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Foods Pets Die For

Discussion in 'Books' started by Soniador, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soniador

Soniador Boxer Booster

I read this book cover to cover, except the cat section. It is a good way to learn about the dog food industry, co-packers and that dog food is an entirely unregulated industry.

The pet food companies that she recommended were interesting, but most foods listed as a "5" or "6" on Dog Food Analysis were not researched. It is definitely not a substitute for the Dog Food Analysis website.

The recipes for cooking for your pet were nice, but the author did not mention what portion sizes were recommended. It was a a quick read and worth the time, but I have found more nutritional guidance on this website than in the book.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

If I recall correctly this book was written quite a few years ago. Dog food has improved a lot since then and probably a lot of the 5* and 6* foods didn't exist then.

3. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Yes, quite a few years ago now - and very likely in some part the trigger or push behind many of the improvements (or apparent improvements ;)) in dog food in the years since. I give the author a lot of credit for lifting the lid on some of the less savoury/more scary aspects of commercial dog food.

The book does less work for the reader - in that it tells what to avoid, but leaves the research on what to choose instead to the consumer. If they didn't do that, then the book would have to be updated at least annually (as that's about how often food manufacturers commonly make changes to their formulas).

4. Soniador

Soniador Boxer Booster

She mentions the pet food recall of 2007 several times, so I didn't think it was written too long ago. Sounds like a few years is an eternity in the pet food world.

The author must have felt like the only sane person on the planet until people really started to notice. I'm just sorry that nothing has really changed. Most of my friends and family will never change from using commercial pet food.

Thanks for the comments :)

5. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

It was written a few years ago but there are newer, updated publishings since.

I always recommend this book to people who feed crap food because the ugly truth hurts. Sometimes it takes people to see an extreme for them to take action.

It opens a door for further research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.