Relocation enquiry - Australia to England

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwinter

Boxer Booster
Can anyone help me with this question. I am recently seperated & considering taking my 2 boxers long haul from Australia to England to live.
My question is:-
Would this be a huge ordeal for them?
I do not know how this would impact them?
I know it is an awfully long way & it really is just a consideration at the moment.
I would really love to hear from anyone who has done this & also the process PLEASE.

Last edited:

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
I have transported a dog from Australasia to the UK :)

No, it isn't that big an ordeal - or at least, with careful planning it is not that big an ordeal. You do need to be mindful of things like the temperature at stopover points, duration of stopover (shorter is better), etc.

You should also bear in mind that in order for a dog to be relocated to the UK without having to undergo a long period (6mths) of quarantine, then he needs to travel under - and comply with the requirements of - the PETS travel scheme. Basically that works as follows (and EXACTLY in this order):

Step 1: Get your dog microchipped.
Step 2: Have the dog scanned for positive ID (the microchip), then vaccinated against rabies. It does not matter that Australia is rabies-free, the dog isn't entering the UK without this.
Step 3: About 6 weeks (check that) after the vaccination, a blood sample is drawn and sent to a UK-approved lab for analysis (they're checking for antibodies against rabies, to ensure the dog got adequate protection from his vaccination).
Step 4: Wait. Wait for the acceptable lab results, and then wait some more. There must be 6 months between the date of his vaccination and the date of travel.

From that point, it is quite a simple matter of booking the dog on a flight - which needs to be on an approved route and airline. He will have tick/tapeworm treatment before travelling, and a vet check to certify him fit to travel). He will travel in the hold (so choose carrier carefully, some have better reputations than others. Qantas is fine) and he will not be allowed out of that crate until arrival in the UK. He will not be sedated, and he probably won't be fed. He will have constant access to water, as long as your crate allows for it. But you can see why it is a good idea to pick a flight with only a short stopover en route, and preferably not in too high temperstures.

If you don't go through the PETS scheme, then you can travel right away, but your dogs WILL be quarantined on arrival in the UK, probably for 6mths. It will be at your expense, and probably run to about £15-20 per day ($30-40) per dog.

All the information you need to know about bringing a dog into the UK can be found here: Defra, UK - Animal health and welfare - Pet Travel Scheme
Defra, UK - Animal health and welfare - Pet Travel Scheme - What you need to do to bring your pet into or back into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme

bmwinter

Boxer Booster
relocating

Thankyou very much for your help. As I said at the moment it is just a thought - but at least now I know the whole process takes around 6 months, so if I was to go down that road I could plan ahead. Do you know if it expensive?
When you reach UK - would you just be able to take them from the airport??
Thanks

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
The process for getting the dog ready for travel (i.e. microchipping, vaccinated, tested, etc) is not expensive. I guess you'd probably run to a couple of hundred dollars per dog (depending on where you live), but nothing that's out of the ordinary.

The flight, on the other hand, can be quite expensive. It is quite a few years since I sent a dog, but the cost then was similar to that of a person (not a heavily discounted fare, but an average/normal fare). That is some time ago though - best thing to do is enquire with some airlines. There are also transport brokers who will organise the whole thing for you, and they'd be able to give you an idea of the cost.

As for arrival in the UK - it is close to a case of pick the dog up off the plane and drive away. He would have to be checked through customs and have a veterinary exam (quick check over) on arrival. But after that is done and his import paperwork is checked, you're free to go. Again, there are firms who'll take care of all that for you and deliver the dog to your door.

Widges

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am taking Billy from the USA to the UK. The process is exactly as GMac has explained.

I did learn that for every 12 hours your dog is traveling they will get fed - you have to provide the food, it should be attached to the outside of the crate.

As for cost - I am paying $2500 USD to get Billy to the UK, he is flying British Airways.

Status
Not open for further replies.