Recently neutered male foster

rayandsarah

Completely Boxer Crazy
I brought an intact male boxer home 3 weeks ago today. He was neutered on a Tuesday 2 weeks ago. He has been getting along amazing with my 4 boxers. 3 of mine are males all neutered and 1 is a female spayed. It was until Friday where they had an altercation. My foster is named Otto and my male who is having issues with him is Capone. They had a fight while I was at work. They each received a puncture wound. Then yesterday while my husband was home with them they had 2 fights. When I got home I could tell Otto was on guard and Capone was trying to avoid him. As soon as Otto would see Capone he would perk up and run at him to attack. We have obviously kept them separate however I'm not sure why this has happened all of a sudden. I understand Otto may have raging hormones still. He also was very thin and is starting to gain weight so I'm not sure if he is feeling good enough to challenge Capone. It seems as he is holding a grudge against Capone. They are fine seeing each other through their crates and even lay by each other when 1 is in a crate but once out it is game on. Any Ideas? Ottos is around 8-9 and Capone is 7. Otto is a foster btw however i do not want to return him.

whiskers

Boxer Insane
How are things going now? I don't have advice on how to fix the issue as I've never had dogs fight, but I do know that sometimes all it takes is one altercation to completely sour a relationship.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I don't really have any advice either. Some dogs just don't get along. A behaviorist could maybe help!
Good luck!

rayandsarah

Completely Boxer Crazy
I have hired a behaviorist before for my dog Capone. She stated that he is insecure and we have been working on that. This was 5 years ago. What is funny is we adopted Jack in January who is very submissive. Then I brought home another Boxer foster named Mac in May. Capone and Mac had their first altercation after 2 weeks as well. Back to Capone and Otto we have kept them separate. I have soft crates and whoever is allowed out will go up to the other in the crate and whine. There are no growls or anything form of aggression going on. I have gotten both of them a rubber basket muzzle and I am thinking of letting them out together muzzled and correcting their behavior. I know they both see me as Alpha so I'm unsure what they are thinking.

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
I have hired a behaviorist before for my dog Capone. She stated that he is insecure and we have been working on that. This was 5 years ago. What is funny is we adopted Jack in January who is very submissive. Then I brought home another Boxer foster named Mac in May. Capone and Mac had their first altercation after 2 weeks as well. Back to Capone and Otto we have kept them separate. I have soft crates and whoever is allowed out will go up to the other in the crate and whine. There are no growls or anything form of aggression going on. I have gotten both of them a rubber basket muzzle and I am thinking of letting them out together muzzled and correcting their behavior. I know they both see me as Alpha so I'm unsure what they are thinking.

I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to more updates. Are you known in town as the crazy Boxer lady? foolicon I bet your home is one happy place to be.:)

silly24boxer

Super Boxer
From what I understand it can take up to 3 months to get the hormones out of the male dog after a neuter. Your older dog maybe reacting to hormones he can still smell. So he is making sure the new dog stays in his place.

rayandsarah

Completely Boxer Crazy
I do know the hormones can last awhile. So we are thinking of keeping them separate and trying a brand new introduction later on. Still unsure of plan. They do go on pack walks together. My husband walks Capone and 2 of our other boxers and I walk Otto and our 4th boxer. This has been going great! They honestly could care less about each other. We do keep them far enough apart that they can be close but not touch each other.