1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about food and ulcers?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Tango's Mama, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

I have a friend who's senior greyhound lab mix is going thru the testing for stomach/intestional ulcers and she has her on boiled rice and hamburger for now. I wondered when the time comes to get her back on kibble what would be the best choice? She will need something easy to digest and easy on her tummy. I know there are a million choices out there but since my dog hasnt had these problems I dont know have any food choice advice for her. Anyone have any ideas?

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Is that ulcerative colitis? If it's the case, you may find that no kibble can be tolerated, but the dog will respond very well to a natural diet instead. Not sure if that's something your friend would be willing to consider.

As an alternavite, I'd suggest something that doesn't have grains would probably be the best bet.

3. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

At this point she isnt sure where the ulcer might be or even if thats the problem. She took her in because she had bright red blood coming out when she pooped and even when she didnt. That sounded like intestinal to me, maybe even a blockage but until the vet gets his tests run its hard to say. He put her on the burger and rice and some meds( i need to find out exactly what they were) and thus far the bleeding has stopped and she is feeling better. Not sure what the next step is but I was pretty sure the vet would suggest science diet ID formula and I thought maybe I might get a step ahead and give her some other choices. I wish she would go natural but I dont think she would so at this point I just thought maybe some ammo ahead of time might help this poor dog out. I care about my friend but she isnt the most informed dog owner sometimes so getting some info to her before the vet sells her something was my goal.

GM I was thinking grainless already so we are on the same page thank goodness. I knew all your training over the years would help me make the right choices! hehe Thanks for the advice and when i know more I might post again to see what you or the other members think . Again thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.