Purebred Boxer?

KellyL

Boxer Pal
At 8 weeks old this guy was given to me by my spouse. His vet paperwork lists him as a Boxer and some days to me he looks all Boxer and other days not so much, he definitely has the Boxer personality though. He's 6 months old now and has stolen our hearts but because every breed has health issues of their "own" I'd like to get a better idea whether he could be purebred or what possible mix he might be. Either way he's loved to pieces.
20150101_122957.jpg
25 weeks old, 22" at the withers and 47 pounds.......thanks for any ideas

KellyL

Boxer Pal
Wasn't sure because he only has a half mask and I thought that unless a white Boxer to be purebred he has to have a proper mask..........I knew nothing of about Boxers until him and I've fallen deeply in love

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
He probably has too much white to make it in the show ring, but that doesn't mean that he isn't a boxer. It just means that you wouldn't be able to successfully show him. Boxers shouldn't have more than 30 percent white.

You could do DNA testing if you want to know for sure. I understand it's not too expensive.

x19er

Boxer Insane
He's gorgeous, looks boxer shaped to me too. DNA testing here in the UK is not expensive, so maybe be the same for you. We had our boxer girl done a few years back as she was so tiny (came back she was all boxer) and currently have a test away for our Lurcher to see what mix of breeds she is. You run a little bristle swap against the inside of their cheek and pop it in the post to the lab for analysis, doesn't hurt and very straightforward.

KellyL

Boxer Pal
Thank you for the replies. Think I'll look into dna testing just for curiosity sake. Wasn't looking at showing him because he's not breed standard although my daughter who's 7 has taken a great interest in training him with me and off hand one day mentioned she wishes there was a competition for kids and dogs like the adult ones I watch, lol

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
my daughter who's 7 has taken a great interest in training him with me and off hand one day mentioned she wishes there was a competition for kids and dogs like the adult ones I watch, lol

There aren't usually specific competitions for children, but there aren't usually age restrictions in obedience or agility either. I would have you daughter take your boxer to obedience classes. If her interest continues, she would probably really enjoy doing agility in the future.

KellyL

Boxer Pal
There aren't usually specific competitions for children, but there aren't usually age restrictions in obedience or agility either. I would have you daughter take your boxer to obedience classes. If her interest continues, she would probably really enjoy doing agility in the future.

Thank you for the info Jan