1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puppy weight question

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by EMCenter, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMCenter

EMCenter Boxer Pal

I got a quick question guys! My Boxer, Tucker was born on April 2, 2013 and when we got him he was 7 weeks old and weighed 9lbs. Well, now at about 6 months old he weighs 42lbs. Is this the normal weight of a Boxer of his age or am I going to have a big boy on my hands? His dad was a pretty big dog as well. Thanks!

2. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

The weight of the parents can certainly give a good indication of the weight of your pup at full grown. There are so many different approaches to breeding boxers - some breeders focus on the north american approach which is a smaller frame topping out at about 65-70 lbs for males. Others bring in European stock and focus on a more filled out frame which tops out at 90-95 lbs for adult males.

At 6 months my pup was about 45 lbs - she is a European boxer, and I fully expect her to be 80-85 lbs at full grown. My guess is yours is on the same track, and as a male would be closer to 90. How big is the father?

btw.. I'm feeding about 2000 calories a day right now... and I expect it will be like that for quite some time to come - probably until she's at least 3, then it will go to something like 1500 calories a day. I assume your boy is eating well? :)

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Caney weighed 45 lbs at 6 months old. She topped out at 63 lbs full grown and has remained steady at that weight. She is 6 years old now.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. kylehat

kylehat Boxer Pal

hey new to the board. i have a female boxer that turned 8 months old on Saturday and the vet weighed her at 71lbs. the vet said she will probably be 85-90lbs when full grown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.