"Puckered" anus in males

Status
Not open for further replies.

amymcl

Boxer Pal
Sorry to anyone who finds this topic gross... My sister's boxer was 'fixed' when he was almost 2, per their vet's suggestion. He said Duke appeared to have a "puckered anus" and that this could lead to future health problems, such as cancer, if the dog wasn't neutered soon. Has anyone else ever heard of such a problem? Our baby, Tag, just turned two and has not been neutered. However, I have noticed that his anus does poke out a bit. It's not swollen or red or anything like that, just seems to "protrude". Should I be concerned? He isn't due for his annual vet visit until February.

Vela

Boxer Insane
I honestly don't know what that means. As far as I can see....they are all puckered, it's the nature of what it is or so I thought LOL. Sorry I'm not much help but I have never heard of one NOT being puckered, so maybe to a vet it means something else.

Vela

Boxer Insane
Oh and by the way, don't try to look up the phrase "dog puckered anus" on Google. I was trying to see if there was a vet or medical definition for it and trust me, you DON'T want to try to find out.......my retinas and brain are still burning and I only saw the introduction titles on the google page.....:(

boxers4life2001

Boxer Insane
I know exactly what you are describing; dogs that are not neutered seem to have larger, pokier (uglier) anuses than dogs that are neutered at a younger age. As they get older, the more pronounced it may appear. It is not prolapsed, but does look different than dogs that are neutered. There is no surgical procedure to fix the rectum, I assume that once the dog is neutered, the hormones which I guess cause this are gone?!?

Carrie

Vela

Boxer Insane
Wow I had no idea. Guess I'm extra glad my boy was neutred at six months. I didn't know the term was puckered though. Learn something new every day, and some things I didn't want to know! =(

kiwilyme

Banned
My intact male has the "look" going on too..Poor old boy.Whats a dog to do?

My recent adopted rescue has a swollen look to his rectum. I thought it may had appeared to look that way at first because he was so emaciated. He is approximately 11 + years old (vets guess) intact male. She said it has to do with him over producing hormones or testosterone he also has 2 swollen nipples I thought they were some type of tumor growth she said no high testosterone levels also attributed to that as well. Him being this way doesn't seem to add any discomfort or pain when he's doing his business. He's to old to bother neutering at this late stage in his life. His only desire is to be fed have a cuddle and a warm place to lay his weary head. Oh and his rectum does appear to be less prominent now that he's gained some 19+ lbs..From 52ish lbs to 71 lbs in less then a month and a half.

So glad someone asked this question. I have never till getting King seen or heard of such a condition before..Boy I'm sure happy we people don't have this issue to have to worry about too..

Last edited:

mygirlmollie

Boxer Insane
Jed is entire and yes, his anus is huge. The vet says its because he is entire and it's male hormones. Pretty normal, but not pleasant to look at lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.