Proud. How long did it take to potty train your boxer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penalope

Boxer Buddy
I have been for a little while having problems having my 3 month old boxer penelope go potty outside. Its like she would pee outside with no hesitation and would not poop at all. I decided to take her out super early this morning when i woke up and she actually peed and pooped with no problem actually took her less than 10 minutes maybe its the fact that it was cold this morning but i was so proud of her. She has been a spitfire the whole time ive been having her and stubborn as heck but she made me a proud boxer momma when she did her buisness outside. How long did it take yall to get your dog to potty outside?

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
To be fully trained and fully reliable to only go outside? About 10 to 16 months. But all dogs are different as well as their owners. Consistency and routine is key.

Last edited:

XxATCxX

Boxer Pal
Fortunately I got Cerbs when she when she already potty trained (and had been for quite some time according to previos owner) and she was 8 months old when I got her.

penalope

Boxer Buddy
I hope to have her trained by 8 months might be wishful thinking but i think if i work with her she will get it. i am usually at home with her so i have plenty of time to train her. I also wondered she weighs 20 pounds at 3 month is that on the bigger side for a female or normal?

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
I got Dora at 14 months of age and she had never lived inside before. I think she was so used to going outside that she just continued to do this - I just have to make sure that I pick up her 'cues' when she needs to go outside and potty. Since I've had her she has only had one accident inside and that was entirely my fault.

I got Diva as a pup and she took till at least 12 months before she was fully potty trained. I got Monty at 5 months old and he had never lived inside either, but with an older potty trained dog (Diva) he only took two weeks to get the gist of it - he just followed Diva's lead really.

Each dog is different. Persistence and consistency will pay off :D

trc4941

Super Boxer
Romeo is 7-1/2 mos old and Luca is 5 mos old. We use treats to train them. We take them out and say "go potty", "go poop" and when they do they get a small treat. It's worked great - they pretty much potty on command. We don't have to stand outside with them for more than 2 minutes each time. They're just starting to every once in awhile ring the bell to go out or whine at the door. That's pretty rare tho. We just know their schedule and take them out. Romeo hasn't had an accident in months, Luca had a pee accident last week, but it was because we weren't paying attention. Good Luck!

larrygs

Super Boxer
Vastly different experiences with ours. Got them both at 8 wks and very diligently crate trained, had them on a consistent schedule and bell trained.

Layla was amazing, never pooped in house and p'd once in first week and that was it! In addition she is real purposeful when we take her out. Does her business quickly.

Jack took much longer with an occasional accident up to a year old. Been good since. But for some reason I still don't trust him at 3 and keep an eye on him. Jack takes forever to get around to his business when he goes out.

BTW, they still enjoy their crates and go to there on their own.

whiskers

Boxer Insane
Juno was super quick to learn but still had the occasional "I went to the door but you took 1 second too long to notice me and I can't hold it, so I'm peeing here" accident until she was about 8 months old. At 10 weeks old she had the concept down and started asking to go out, but her baby puppy brain and bladder prevented that from happening 100% of the time. By 4-5 months old she was reliable, we just had to pay attention if she went to the door because she still couldn't hold it THAT long.

There are a lot of things about dog training that I'm just not good at, but I pat myself on the back because housebreaking is one thing I feel like I do well!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Tara was the easiest dog to house train, but I really can't take credit. She came home from the breeders knowing that she was supposed to go outside. As long as the door was open, she would toddle on outside. She probably only peed in the house maybe 6 times. She never pooed.

Markus pooped once in the house the day we brought him home and never again.

Allie has been by far the most difficult. She kept pooping in the house and she was such a sneaky little girl, it was hard to catch her in the act. I finally caught her a couple of times and she finally got the idea that Mom didn't like that. One day it was like a light bulb went off in her brain and she never had a accident again. That was around when she turned 5 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.