problem with 2 year old female

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemybabies

Boxer Pal
Ok, i have a 2 yo female boxer. she is a wonderful girl...except at night.
She has always hated being in her crate at night, but i have trouble trusting her being out...she has chewed numerous wires, tore up blankets, and pottied all over the floor.
Well, in March, she jumped our fence and was missing for a month. Well we found the person who took my girl in and she said that she was great at night. Didn't budge from her daughters bed. Well, we brought her home and left her out at night. She weighs 50 lbs and took up the entire bed!! She pushed me on top of my husband and practically pushed him outta bed. Hubby said no more and we put her back in the crate. I make her go to the bathroom before she goes to bed and she goes out to go potty as soon as she gets up.
To be honest, it does no good!

She goes potty all over her crate!! I have put blankets in that she sleeps with in our bedroom, i give her toys to keep her busy for the few hours that she is in there. NOTHING works. and to be honest, im fed up with it. she is back in bed with us because that is the only way i can keep her from going potty in the house. we did bring up our male to sleep with her and he helps to keep her on the floor now, so she sleeps at the end of the bed on the floor.
Our male hasn't gone to the bathroom in the house since we got him, and he is one month older than her.
Our rescue puppy is 5 months old and she does better than my 2 year old also!!
What should i do in case we have to keep her in the crate for a few hours while we are gone?
I am asking for anyhelp i can get....i am desperate here!!!!
thanks in advance to everyone who has advice

Kristin
mommy of Lexi- fawn female docked and floppy
Spanky- white male docked and floppy
Tia- Rev. Brindle female docked and floppy

Althea

Completely Boxer Crazy
My guess is it is separation anxiety. Have you talked to a behaviorist? Given that you have three dogs and (probably) plenty of chaos, that would be my first step. It's not as expensive as you might think, and it's someone who can see all the dynamics of your household and help you alter them to make living for everyone more enjoyable. :)

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
Is the crate IN the bedroom with you? Possibly she wants to sleep close to her pack. How about putting the crate in your room, but leave the door open? If she gets on the bed, command her "off". Eventually she may find comfort in the soft crate as opposed to sleeping on the floor.

Teaching her its a safe and comfy place to sleep, she may not feel such anxiety when she is locked in during the day.

lovemybabies

Boxer Pal
Is the crate IN the bedroom with you? Possibly she wants to sleep close to her pack. How about putting the crate in your room, but leave the door open? If she gets on the bed, command her "off". Eventually she may find comfort in the soft crate as opposed to sleeping on the floor.

Teaching her its a safe and comfy place to sleep, she may not feel such anxiety when she is locked in during the day.

we had her in our bedroom right beside the bed forever. then she took off and we moved her crate into our "dog room" (yes our dogs have a room all to themselves) and when she got kicked off of our bed we put her in her crate with all the other dogs in the same room. it doesn't matter where we have her, she still pees in the crate. and it got to the point where she wasn't just peeing, she was pooping as well!! ALOT! i would wake up and one entire side of her cage would be full of pee and poo.

bayleighmom

Boxer Insane
I'm confused about why she was moved out of your room? If she did well in your room, why not move her back in? Does she potty in the bedroom at night? Have you had her checked for UTI/bladder infections?

Our female seemed to take forever to housebreak. I really didn't fully trust her until she was about 2 years old.

lovemybabies

Boxer Pal
she was moved out of our room when she got pregnant...i moved out of my room as well so i could pay more direct attention to her and her puppies when they were born. (i got mixed up when i replied to LILYLARUE we moved her after she got pregnant and kept her in the living room but then we moved her into the dog room after she took off)
and while she was in our room, she pottied in the crate as well.
she did have a UTI while she was pregnant that cleared up in about 3 days with meds from the vet. she just had a complete physical 2 weeks ago and vet said she is fine.
she just turned 2 in March and i can leave her in our bedroom out of the crate at night or while i am in there and she is fine, but if i put her in the crate, i have a HUGE mess to clean up in the morning. i am worried about leaving to go anywhere because i have to put her in the crate and she gets so destructive in there. i can't leave her outside because she can jump our 6 1/2 foot privacy fence and can't leave her loose in the house because only god knows what she will do.
we put her in a kennel that is covered on top, but she has found a way to get out of that as well.
i guess i am adding more to my original problem and asking for help with numerous things. HELP ME PLEASE SOMEONE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.