pees on edge off wee wee pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cori

Boxer Pal
I have a 7 month old and initally it was ok for him to pee on the edge of pad because I wanted him to get into the habit of going on the pad. He would randomly pee in the middle or on the edge. But for the past 1-2 months, he been consistently going on the edge, specifically the far right corner of the pad. So half goes on pad and half goes on floor. Any suggestions or successful stories to make him go in the MIDDLE. THANKS.

apollosdad

Boxer Insane
at 7 months old, why is a wee wee pad still being used?

i personally don't like suggesting pee pads to be used. they simply create an extra step that you have to get rid of on the road to potty training your dog.

your dog might be straying from the pee pad, because what the pee pad has taught him is that it is okay for him to eliminate in the house.

there is no way to teach him to ONLY go in the middle.

is there a reason why you have chosen to continue use of the pee pad at this age?

and is there anything preventing you from beginning to teach him to relieve himself outside?

BetsyB

Boxer Insane
Agree with the previous post. Ditch the "wee pads" and take that boy outside! It may be virtually impossible for a 7 month old boxer to "hit" the target on the center of a pee pad being so big and high off the ground at that age. FWIW, my DH's grandmother had toy poodles, which are only inches off the ground, and they didn't only pee on the pad, but raised their legs on every surface of the house because they were inadvertantly taught it was okay to eliminate in the house.

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
at 7 months old, why is a wee wee pad still being used?

i personally don't like suggesting pee pads to be used. they simply create an extra step that you have to get rid of on the road to potty training your dog.

your dog might be straying from the pee pad, because what the pee pad has taught him is that it is okay for him to eliminate in the house.

there is no way to teach him to ONLY go in the middle.

is there a reason why you have chosen to continue use of the pee pad at this age?

and is there anything preventing you from beginning to teach him to relieve himself outside?

I agree with this.

Box Boys

Boxer Insane
I agree that the pee pads (or newspapers in my case with Buster) added an additional step to the housetraining. And, for us, just when Buster was broken from the newspapers...after just 1.5 weeks, he began peeing on my carpets (which he has not done). So...for us, we're trying to introduce the crate again, with not much success.

As to peeing in the middle of the pee pad...I can tell you that he probably has his front feet on the pad and thinks he's on there all the way. I've noticed that Buster will go outside to pee and get his two front paws into the grass and he starts peeing. Problem is that his back feet are still on the patio...so the pee ends up on the patio. Sounds like what your boy is doing, but on the pee pads.

boxer granny

Boxer Buddy
Try getting bigger pads. They cost more, but Petco has them in various sizes and some of them look like the size of a baby blanket. Maybe since he is so big now a bigger pad would help the situation. Our 2year old Boxer was trained to a pad first when he was real young and then to go to the door to go outside as he got older. It was an extra "step" but he learned very quickly and I've never had any problems with him still thinking it's ok to potty in the house. Our 3 month old is being trained to go to the door/outside from the start, but our situation is different with this one. Whatever works best for you will work, you will just have another "step" to do eventually. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.