1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals

Discussion in 'Books' started by Sansal, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Just finished On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals (Turid Rugaas). It is a short book, only 75 pages or so, but gives sooo much insight into the little signals our dogs give us every day! I highly recommend reading it.
    I also started to read "Canine Body Language, A Photographic Guide" by Brenda Aloff which I can also recommend. It covers all kinds of signals dogs give, fear, warning, guarding, targeting, playing and so on.
    Both books are a good starting point for people who want to learn more about dog language.

2. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Turid is an awesome resource. As is Brenda Aloff, both are pioneers in their field of work. Anything written by these two are worth the read.

3. larrygs

larrygs Super Boxer

Must reads for all!

I totally agree! I have read both and they are so eye opening and valuable. Now when we go to the dog park or a boxer bash, I have a very fascinating time seeing the conversations that are going on! Also allows me to intervene appropriately.

Yesterday I intentially gave Layla a yawn for the first time. You should have seen the look on her face! Intensly curious and like wow, dad can actually speak my language. My yawn was somewhat out context, so she also had this inquisite look, .... like why are you yawning?

EVERY morning I get a greeting (I love you) bow. It is only now that I understand. What a great way to start the morning!

I truly hope more owners read about calming signals, dog body language, and behaviour. Many dogs will be much better off.

4. Infinite

Infinite Boxer Pal

Just ordered this .. and very excited to get it! Everyone seems to have nothing but praise for this book.

5. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

Both are good books, and might I add:

"The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell

"The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson

"Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.