1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a "Happy" New Year

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Cami, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Cami has been acting a little odd for about a month. Back in either Sept/Oct she was battling a staph infection due to her thyroiditis. Finally broke down and got her on an antibiotic. She is so very sensitive to meds that no matter what I tell the vets they still dose her at "recommended dose" (based on weight). So......like any good mom who knows their baby, I cut the dose down avoiding stomach upset and it just takes a little longer to get through the meds.
    November comes and she is still on the antibiotics and infection is clearing up BUT she continues to be itchy from it (staph) .......OR.....I am scouring her body multiple times a day in search of a new MCT which always makes her itchy. Then her hair starts to fall out again and she isn't fighting off upset tummy. She also starts in with her "panic" mode which in the past was a behavior that was a precursor to getting diagnosed with the thyroid problem.

Been on a very low dose for her body weight (less than 1/2 recc'd dose---PER cardiologist). Speeding up the metabolism with thyroid hormone can greatly increase her ventricular arrhythmia's. Don't want that. Take her back to the vet on Monday for a post pill test to see where her levels are and probably an increase in thyroid meds to alleviate the hair loss, upset tummy, extreme tiredness and panicky behavior.

Settled down at 5 this evening to watch my Buckeyes WIN the Rose Bowl and........CAMI COLLAPSED.
    Hubby closed a cabinet door in the kitchen and her PANIC came into play. She freaked out and went running/barking to the front of the house so she could see what the noise was. Her "conditioning" for noises (for lack of a better term) gets off in her panic mode. Less than a minute she comes back into the room that I was in and starts walking weird trying to keep from falling. Her legs got crossed up and she went down. If she lost consciousness it was for a split second. I yelled something, neither hubby nor I can remember, but I got to her and started massaging her chest. Hubby is there at this point and wants to know what is going on. I'm freaking out trying to save her. Her tongue was out and it turned completely white. She started panting heavily (thank GOD)...at least she was breathing. She eventually was able to stand and made her way to the couch. Slept for a couple of hours then ate dinner normally. Been sleeping comfortably every since.

Called cardiologist who of course isn't in until Monday (hopefully). Tonight I am on Cami Patrol as hubby heads back to work tomorrow after being on vacation for the past 10 days. I too am working and of course I gave my employee the holiday off! ARRGGGG!!!!

Cami has been nauseated constantly for the past 3 days. Tried numerous things, nothing helped.

The last time she collapsed was when she was 3 years old and that lead to the arrhythmia diagnosis. Monday can't get here soon enough. I need to talk to the cardiologist as I fear it is finally time to start her on meds for that condition.

Between the cancer, heart, thyroid and allergies I'm feeling some pressure when something happens. When I think I know what a symptom is I get slapped up side the head with something else entirely.

As I am typing I get the test results from her blood work from Dr. Dodd's of Hemopet in California. Seems the current dose of thyroid meds are doing the trick. CBC was normal EXCEPT her BUN. States that she is "pre-renal". We already know that one of her kidneys has a congenital defect and is so small that it has probably never functioned but for it now to start showing up in the blood work is a new thing.
    Good grief. Sorry so long, Guess I just needed to vent.

2. johann

johann Boxer Insane

What a crappy start to the new year for you and Cami.

I'll be thinking of you guys on Monday, I hope you can get some good answers from the cardiologist. Cami sure keeps you on your toes with all her health issues. :(

3. RoxyBigBaby

RoxyBigBaby Boxer Buddy

Feel Better Cami

I'm so sorry to hear about all of that. Sending you and Cami the best of wishes. Hope she feels better real soon. Please keep us updated on how she's doing.

4. Gigi myworld

Gigi myworld Boxer Buddy

Sending Cami lots of healing vibes...hope she feels better real quick!

5. CAndrews

CAndrews Boxer Pal

Is Cami used to a very strict routine? Could maybe the holidays and hubby being home more have thrown her off and she finally just couldn't take the changes any more? My 2 know their routine like the back of their paws and any changes they are thrilled about, even for one day.

I hope you get some good news on Monday.

Christy

6. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

Susi, I am so sorry that Cami is not feeling well. You both go through so much, I hope it will resolve itself.

It always seems that emergency come either in the middle of the night or the weekends. I hope everything is ok until Monday. :)

7. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

PRAY FOR CAMI
    She is in ICU. Not doing well. Oxygen chamber. Can't keep meds on board due to vomiting. Nothing is helping.
    Back to hospital.

8. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

OMG Susi, you got it. Will be praying for you and Cami. <<<<<vibes>>>>>

9. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I'm sending good thoughts and get better vibes to Cami.

10. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

Oh, no. We will pray for Cami and send all the positive vibes northward we can muster.

Pam and Autry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.