1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Story on Raw v. Processed

Discussion in 'RAW Feeding' started by sjt3409, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjt3409

sjt3409 Boxer Buddy

2. sgbtab

sgbtab Banned

the funny thing about this story is the salmonella bacteria is in dry food. it makes me laugh when someone says that salmonella is in raw when all along dry food has had it in the kibble along with using dead animals not fit for rats.
    I will stick with feeding raw and having healthy dogs.:)

3. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

I think it's interesting that the vets are the ones with the problem with the raw diet, but in Lonsdale's book (also a vet) talks about how vets don't receive thorough training on nutrition while in school, and that in actuality, it's Science Diet and the big-named kibble companies teaching the soon-to-be vets about nutrition.

4. Checkers

Checkers Boxer Insane

Its also funny how they never seem to talk about bones in these articles either. Or course an all meat diet is bad for a dog. The impression I got from that article was all meat and no bone so no wonder they say its bad.

Its just one of those things.. Dont knock it till you've tried it ;)

5. marciafinn

marciafinn Boxer Insane

Just like Cortney, I thought of how most vets do not receive any training on nutrition. I have had a few friends send me similar articles since I've made the switch...but for every one they send me I always find a rebuttal to send back. ;)

6. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Not all vets are anti-raw ;) Not by any means. In fact, many of the greatest proponents of raw feeding are vets (and I'm not even including Drs Lonsdale and Billinghurst in that). Heck, there are even raw feeding groups and websites out there run by vets...

It's just a subject that people manage to get all upset about. Some in favour, some against. Same goes for vets - some are strongly in favour, some are against. Whether it's worth listening really depends on why they're for or against ;) If it's just prejudice (in either direction) then it's not much worth listening further.

7. Indy's mom

Indy's mom Boxer Insane

Interesting that you say that Gmacleod, when I had Indy to the vet for a check-up the other day I asked her what her opinion of the raw feeding was. She told me she was sort of half and half. Not really convinced either way, hwvr one of the vets she went to school with years ago is a very strong advocate of the BARF diet and she gave her friends reasons for feeling that way. In the next room was another vet, who is just as staunchly against the BARF diet, but again she had reasons for the way she felt.

In the end, we just feel that we need to keep reading what we can, talk to as many REASONABLE people as possible and then experiment on our own. Son of a gun, it's just like raising kids again. I never felt like I got that quite right either, but I guess it's just a process of learning as you go.

8. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

That's a better way of putting it. And as I found out when I first switched to raw, there are very, very strong opinions on how to/how not to feed a raw diet.

In the end, the ongoing "debates" are a good thing because they force people (vets and others) to keep researching and keep educated in these areas, which benefits us all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.