1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Born with 1 adult and 1 puppy

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by beachboxer, Oct 27, 2014.

1. beachboxer

beachboxer Boxer Pal

Hello everyone!

It has been some time since I have posted so sorry for the long absence!
    I have a question that I am very excited to ask and hope to have my mind eased with your responses.
    So, we currently have 1 adult male boxer (Wrigley). Well recently Wrigley and my brothers female (Lexi) had puppies that are now 4 weeks old and my wife and I have had plans to keep one of the puppies as our newest family member! We have yet to decide on a male or female though. HOWEVER, my wife and I have recently found out we are expecting our first child!

Here lies my dilemma though, Wrigley is 4 and will be 5 by the time baby arrives, he has always been amazing with children of all ages and was well socialized as a puppy and beyond around the nieces and nephews from 12 months-5 yrs old and above. My wife and I have had our hearts set on one of these pups, we have it down to 2, a male or female at this time. By the time the baby arrives the newest puppy will be about 11-12 months old and will leave us with Wrigley at 5, the puppy at 1 year and our newborn.
    Are we getting in over our heads with a new puppy right now? I don’t want to think we are but we have not been able to pick between the male and female as we have only had the male and I want to know what to expect with the sex of the dog.

Now with the baby in the picture I am starting to think a puppy is not right at this time. If we were to move forward with a puppy, those with experience would a male be better suited for a new born as they are more laid back and tolerant usually rather than a female or would a female be better due to the “mothering” instincts?

I’m torn and could use any experiences and thoughts!
    Thanks everyone!

2. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I would not get a puppy at the same time you have a newborn. I have a dog trainer friend who did it, and even she jokes about how the puppy was worse than the baby.
    Seriously though, Wrigley will have enough to adjust to with a new baby being added to the family. Plus, you'd end up with an adolescent boxer at the same time you have a baby that is learning to crawl. Not a good mix.

Congrats on the upcoming baby! I'm sure Wrigley will be as good of a big brother as Johann has been.

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

OK, I'm awful at reading, so my timing was off. I'd still not do it though

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Probably, but that doesn't mean that you can't make it work. I'm not sure that the sex of the puppy will make any difference. It's all in the personality of the pup.

If you decide to go through with getting the puppy, you need to make sure that the pup is well socialized and that you work very hard on obedience. The pup is going to need a very strong "stay" command and a "leave it" command. If you are going to ban the pup from certain areas once the baby arrives, you need to make sure that happens well before the baby's arrival. You don't want any changes to be associated with the baby's arrival.

Good luck!

5. x19er

x19er Boxer Insane

Dino was 4 and our old boxer girl 12 when our son was born, sadly we lost our girlie boxer a few months later and unexpectedly when our son was 6 months old our wee rescue boxer girl Charlie who was also 6 months old came to stay, so not a million miles off your own scenario. Boxers by nature are lovely with kids and as long as you apply basic common sense to everything you do with them all will most likely be fine. Your youngest dog will be potty trained etc so it'll just be the baby you'll be getting up to all night grinicon Don't underestimate how much a baby completely takes over your life and be sure to have one to one time for your dogs. All 3 dogs who met our son were very different with him but that was down to their personalties rather than them being male or female I feel. Sophie was protective of me while I was expecting and wouldn't leave my side in the garden while Dino was charging round at high speed, Dino is by nature a more skittish dog but still brilliant with our son never knocking him over but not being a real playmate till our son was bigger, Charlie fell head over heels in love with him and was always in the middle of games and cuddles. Good luck with whatever you decide :happy: