1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nephew's boxer needs some inmmune strenghting.

Discussion in 'Holistic care' started by Gatorblu, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I am watching my nephew's kids once a week and he has two boxers. They are sisters who had a terrible start to life. Their mother died when the litter was only about 4 weeks old, and these two are the only ones who survived. Needless to say they didn't get the proper start in life and their immunity systems have been challenged because of it. One of them, Cookie, is battling mange and a nasty eye infection right now. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a supplement I can give to my nephew for her to help build her immune system?

He has been to the vet and is medicating his dog. (Though I don't know with what.) I know her diet is going to need to change too. And I will address that with him as well.

2. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

Pam- I've got Leah on Standard Process and I can't say enough about the product. However, you must find a vet that carries the products. I also like Only Natural Pet website. Check that out if you've never been on the site. I'd also check Whole dog journal for suggestions and Dogs Naturally magazine website. I subscribe to that publication and have many high quality products suggestions.

Look for whole food products or supplements that have no synthetics.

Good luck

Gatorblu likes this.
  3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I buy from the Only Natural site also. Raine takes the Super Daily Canine Multi-Vitamin. They have pretty much anything you are looking for no matter the condition and the products are high quality. They are having a supplement sale currently. At checkout use the code HEALTH17 for a 17% discount on orders. Free shipping on orders over $79 ($6.99 otherwise).
    When Cami was a pup with d-mange we gave her Barlean's Fish Oil 2 per day, 500mgs of Vitamin C-split between breakfast and dinner, Apple Cider Vinegar (capful in water bowl daily), The Missing Link-powder supplement mixed in food, Vitamin E. Her mange resolved with us giving her the right tools to boost her immune system. High quality food and treats too. We also gave her as many fruits and veggies as she wanted like tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, oranges, apples, bananas, cauliflower, celery, etc...

Gatorblu likes this.
  4. SherylM

SherylM Completely Boxer Crazy

When Lucy was sick my vet suggested colostrum to boost her immune system. I went to the health food store and got bovine colostrum.

Gatorblu likes this.
  5. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Thanks for all the help. Do you guys think coconut oil will help her skin and keep it from getting infected?

6. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

I know coconut oil is wonderful as long as you purchase the right kind. Would you use it internally or directly to coat?

Also, a vinegar rinse after a bath or even spraying on the coat mixed in a spray bottle, however, I don't know what the mix is. Also, if there is open wounds it could burn a bit. Vinegar works well for keeping skin infections down, repels bugs and fleas and keeps coat shiny and soft. Use the Bragg brand with the mother in it. Or, put it in water bowl. That works well for some and others not.

As you know you have to work from inside out. Did you find a good supplement yet? It really does make a difference, I think. Leah has improved a lot since starting her on supplements a year ago. I should have done it a long time ago.