Need some help, aggression issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
So for the past week now, Brady is acting aggressive towards Dozer. Dozer is an in your face, go all out type of dog and he annoys me sometimes because of how he acts in that respect and every now and again Brady would warn Dozer when he was in his face but no big deal.

They will be fine and then all of a sudden Brady will "stalk" Dozer, watches his every mood and stands over top of him. Brady raises his hackles and lets out a low rumble. I always discourage it but when Brady starts, it takes a bit to get him to stop. There doesn't seem to be a constant trigger but I have noticed a lot of the times it seems like he is guarding us (humans and Abbie) from Dozer. They still play with each other like normal but then all of a sudden, he goes into stalker mode.

It seems to be a dominance issue between Brady and Dozer and I do use NILIF but Brady is still intent on stalking Dozer.

I would imagine the all of a sudden onset is due to stress as we had a major water leak and our house is under repair for the past 3 weeks. There have been various new people (insurance adjuster, restoration company, contractors) in and out of the house almost every day for the past 3 weeks and part of the house is blocked off. It is stressful for us so I can only imagine what the dogs and cats are going through.

My fear is that this behavior is going to become a habit for Brady. Unfortunately the house is going to be a work in progress for a little while yet. They have walls and ceilings ripped down, we actually ripped the last wall down ourselves tonight to have less stress on the animals. There are going to be contractors running in and out repairing everything. It will probably be a few weeks yet. I wish we could do everything ourselves to save money and to create less stress but with me in school, Stephen working, and so much to do it is impossible.

What can I do to stop this aggression? I do have to say that Dozer is "socially dumb" so he doesn't pick up on Brady's signals. Dozer thinks everything is a game, even when he is in trouble with us or the other dogs. He is the bounce off the walls, do everything (good and bad) with 150%, loopy dog. He isn't the brightest boxer.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Guitardave

Boxer Pal
Im no expert but sounds to me like Brady isnt happy with Dozers boisterous behaviour and feels the need to tell him off and 'put him in his place' so to speak, which is a pretty normal thing in the animal world, but obviously not acceptable for domesticated pets.

Next time it happens I would try firstly tell Brady 'NO' or 'ah-ah' or whatever your command is for unnaceptable behaviour and then push Brady away from Dozer if hes standing over him.
Then try an calm Dozer down from whatever excited behaviour hes performing at the time.

The sight of you taking control (or at least trying to) of Dozers excited behaviour may relieve Brady's need to take control of the situation.

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
What can I do to stop this aggression? I do have to say that Dozer is "socially dumb" so he doesn't pick up on Brady's signals. Dozer thinks everything is a game, even when he is in trouble with us or the other dogs. He is the bounce off the walls, do everything (good and bad) with 150%, loopy dog. He isn't the brightest boxer.

Any suggestions?

Actually, from what you describe it sounds like Dozer is the bright one. Confident dogs ignore annoying status seeking behavior from other dogs. They simply do not engage them. That's exactly what it sounds like Dozer is doing. Now I am not a professional, but from dealing with my own status seeking dog, a lot of re-direction and NILIF is necessary, it doesn't happen overnight, but when you set a precident in your home that status doesn't matter, the status seeker will usually give it up.

stacycaye

Boxer Pal
We have the same problem in our house with our Rat terrier, Jack, and our boxer, Karma. Jack barks and barks and barks and Karma hates it! She used to just deal with it, but now feels it is her place to put him in his place. For awhile we just let it happen because the vet told us it was a pack issue and they should work it out. They usually do, but it also increases the anxiety in the house for everyone! Talk about Eggshells.

When it first started happening, I got very nervous and aggitated and felt it was out of my hands. I have since become very attentive observant when they are both in a room and Jack is participating in triggering behaviors. I am very stern with Karma. She will usually bow down to my commands at this point and leave it alone. But, when she does not, I will put her in time out so that she knows I am boss. I have also been working with Jack on his pesky behaviors as well. No free ride for him either.

It is a trying situation, but I have found I have become much more relaxed with the situation now that I know how to read and control it a little better.

Good luck with everything!

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
Im no expert but sounds to me like Brady isnt happy with Dozers boisterous behaviour and feels the need to tell him off and 'put him in his place' so to speak, which is a pretty normal thing in the animal world, but obviously not acceptable for domesticated pets.

Next time it happens I would try firstly tell Brady 'NO' or 'ah-ah' or whatever your command is for unnaceptable behaviour and then push Brady away from Dozer if hes standing over him.
Then try an calm Dozer down from whatever excited behaviour hes performing at the time.

The sight of you taking control (or at least trying to) of Dozers excited behaviour may relieve Brady's need to take control of the situation.

I have been doing this since the beginning but have had little success. There hasn't been any issues for a few days now. The dogs are spending a lot of time in their crates because the contractors are there putting the house together. The good news is is that the house should be mostly done by this weekend. We are doing stuff ourselves after that but there will obviously be less stress on the dogs.

I think stress is the biggest issue because we are all tense and have been on edge and cramped together because of part of the house being blocked off. We will be getting back to some normalcy soon which will help us all. I think we will be ok.

As for Dozer being the brighter one, I am still not convinced :LOL: I think he is just so dense that there is little hope of him being "normal" We love him to death though.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.