1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some book advice PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Books' started by ZoesDad, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoesDad

ZoesDad Boxer Pal

I have a tendency to go way over the top sometimes. My wife calls me an extremist. So of course when we got Zoe, I started researching on the best food, how to train her, what would make her most comfortable...basically how can I give her all she needs and wants.

I'm looking at books to learn more about her mindset and why she does what she does and what she needs me to do to help her be the best and happiest dog she can be.

I'm on amazon and I've realized that I will spend hundreds of dollars easily with all the choices.

-On talking terms with dogs
    -Cautious Canine (Zoe can be a bit fearful and sometimes too focused on certain things)
    -Other end of the leash

These are the three I'm looking at now.

Any other suggestions or something other than these three? I'm definitely getting a book on body language so I can know better what she is trying to tell me. I'm open to anything else.

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Haven't read any of them but have heard good things about "On Talking Terms with Dogs".

Also look up "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson... check the sticky at the top of the Books forum :)

And BTW, you're TOTALLY doing the right thing by learning all you can NOW... much easier if you do things right the first time around rather than have to "fix" behavior problems later down the road :)

3. ZoesDad

ZoesDad Boxer Pal

Thanks!

She's 8 months now and doing well but could be better. Well, WE could be doing better (my wife and I mean). I really wish I'd gotten more informed before getting her. I know better now and should be a better leader for our next pup. Like they say....ther are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

I ended up getting the following:
    -Culture Clash
    -The other end of the Leash
    -On talking terms with dogs: Calming signals

I also have a couple Cesar Milan books. I don't necessarily fully subscribe to any one train of thought (not yet anyhow). I'm reading, learning, and observing what makes sense and what works or doesn't with Zoe. I figure if I can learn to "hear" her better, that will make it easier to lead and train her and help her out in the long run.

4. Madea

Madea Super Boxer

I really learned alot from the Culture Cash. Another book that helped me out alot was a book title How To Behave So Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin, D.V.M.
    It is a great book.

5. rena

rena Boxer Booster

One of my favorites is Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs by Suzanne Clothier. Especially like the training exercise where the owners take role of dogs - was a meaningful point for me to recognize until you know what the "words" mean, patience from the teacher is a must. Best of luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.