1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a flea/tick preventative

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by rayandsarah, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayandsarah

rayandsarah Completely Boxer Crazy

This past week I have found 2 fleas on Rowdy and BF found a tick on Capone. It wasn't attached yet thankfully. This is the 1st tick either of them have had.

They are currently on Sentinel which I liked and haven't had a problem with. I was planning on switching to Trifexis when we finished the Sentinel. I liked that it killed that adult fleas and not just the eggs.

I need some suggestions on what other people use and like on their dogs for heartworm and flea/tick.

2. hurleygirl

hurleygirl Boxer Booster

Trifexis has worked excellently for my 2 dogs. And here in florida the fleas are horrible.

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I use Frontline plus for fleas/ticks and Interceptor for heartworm prevention.

4. rayandsarah

rayandsarah Completely Boxer Crazy

Since Sentinel had flea preventative (just to kill the eggs) in it would I still be able to use a topical for flea/tick or would that be to much?

5. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I think that would be too much. If you wanted to use a topical flea/tick I think you would need to do heartworm and flea/tick separately.

6. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Personally I have used Frontline Plus for flea/tick preventative and Heartgard Plus for heatworm preventative for years on multiple dogs in 2 different states (Louisiana and Arizona). Have had great luck with both and no problems whatsoever.

7. elgerdes

elgerdes Completely Boxer Crazy

I also second BxrMommie. Frontline and Heartguard. 0 issues :)

8. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

Dawn dish soap

my daughter brought home a pup ((( sigh )))) covered in fleas ... called the vet , since sam is on sentinel was worried about over does ,. he said , yes it would be to much to use flea shampoos...... BUT ...........

go figure DAWN dish soap ,. best thing known to pup & flea !!!!!!! MUST BE THE BLUE can Safely be used severally times a week ( short term of course ) to kill fleas !! who knew ?

so bath for pup , bath for sam , and of course trip to vet
    ( he does need new corvet , so helping pay ) ^^^^^^^^^^ sigh ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

did i mention to said child I wAS laid off on monday ???? ..... no more rescue for a bit .......

when am i going to learn to say the magic words ???? N O ..... lol

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  9. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

yes dawn works good in case of infestation!!

I use Advantix (because i like that it repels mosquitoes, on top of flea/ticks) and heartguard plus

:)

10. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

oh shoot :( so sorry to hear that :(
    it stinks!!! i hope you find something else soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.