Natural Ear Taping Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiddlydoo

Boxer Pal
We just recently bought a boxer puppy. We've decided to keep her natural ears and not crop them, but one of her ears is starting to fly. We've read about taping but we're not sure about the duration. How long does this usually take? And how long should we leave the tape on during the day? Any information would be helpful, thanks!

Gunther

Super Boxer
I don't think you really have an issue? Taping is usually part of the ear cropping process. Boxer ears don't naturally stand, up hence the need for cropping,and taping.

If that's her in your avatar,,.there is no way those ears are gonna be standing up! :)

Skiddlydoo

Boxer Pal
I don't think you really have an issue? Taping is usually part of the ear cropping process. Boxer ears don't naturally stand, up hence the need for cropping,and taping.

If that's her in your avatar,,.there is no way those ears are gonna be standing up! :)

I guess I should have been more clear. I want them to naturally lay all nice and floppy but one of her ears are "flying" and are uneven from the other. I was wondering how long does this last and how long I should keep the tape on the ears to keep them even and laying flat. Sorry for the confusion

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi! I knew what you were referring to , but I didn't want to reply because I didn't know the answer to it! Lol but I have seen this discussed before on the board, I was trying to find a thread and post a link for you, but there were several, discussing different methods lol, but if you search all forums in the search, it may be of help to you !!! I've read some on massaging the ears, instead of taping, but hopefully someone will chime in with experience!!! Some think it doesn't do any good others do believe it helps. My Tyson (avatar) had long floppy puppy dog ears, but Arabella has shorter ears that tend to do the same as your baby girl lol, sorry I couldn't be of more help to you!

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
This was the best thread I could find on examples : http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/boxer-ring/147721-flying-boxer-ears.html?highlight=flat+ears

If you search lay flat or lay flat ears a lot of posts comes up. Sorry I didn't have a lot of personal examples to post myself. Personally, I think it's a cosmetic type of issue, like if your showing.

I actually was even a bit confused myself on it. Tysons did actually do the crazy ear fly thing lol. Arabella's stick out a little bit , and I assume it's because their not at long as Tyson s were. But I hope this link helps, I thought it explained it the best :)

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
Tysons would for the most part lay flat, but miss Arabella....Lol, I don't think we have ever really seen them lay flat often. I was curious myself if it was because they were shorter.

Gunther

Super Boxer
Interesting thanks. Kinda pit bull like. I was thinking more like a GSD, Probably would have been a good candidate for cropping?

It looks like massaging is the answer but I guess more is involved in that than just grabbing his ears and rubbing them?

I think Struddells ears went through a stage like that but it was awhile ago can't really remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.