1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girl had surgery today

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Linda/NJ, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Oh the joys of it all !!! I'm glad she is doing well .. It is so so hard to keep them calm , my mum was the same when she got Sheba spayed , after the first 4 days or so she gave up trying and all worked out well ..
    The fur grows back pretty quickly, within a month it should be fully re grown ..

Linda/NJ likes this.
  2. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Just remember as each day goes by the stitches are doing less and she is healing more. I am not suggesting by any means that you let her jump or overdue it, but unless the vet says no for some reason, a slow leash walk shouldn't hurt anything and let her burn some energy. Even after Sammie had knee surgery she needed longer and longer walks before stitches came out. Best of luck for her recovery. It is stressful trying to keep them calm as they can be so exuberant by nature.

Linda/NJ likes this.
  3. Linda/NJ

Linda/NJ Boxer Insane

Yes I see a little bit of fur growing back. Two nights got her to sleep in her bed all night in our room. After a few minutes of telling her no about getting on bed, she got tired eventually. I think when we reach the 10 day mark, she should be good. I am letting her walk around the yard a bit, but she must be feeling fine to run a short few feet, I had a treat to get her to go in the house. Didn't want to push it.

4. Linda/NJ

Linda/NJ Boxer Insane

UPDATE: The biopsy results are in. Good thing it was removed. Stage 1 Hemangiopericytoma. Such a large incision was made and extra wide margins, so hopefully all good and we caught it early. This type of tumor stays localized and doesnt spread. The only downfall is this tumor may come back in same spot. So we will have to watch closely. But how many times do you put a dog under the older they get. I pray it never returns. tonight the removal of stitches, hope all well with that. Once in awhile she tried to get back there, I think the itchiness of it. Other than that Lily did great. I just want her back to normal. We miss our daily walks.

rena likes this.
  5. Linda/NJ

Linda/NJ Boxer Insane

Went to get stitches out last night. They only removed some, left in 2 sutures in the middle, because it is not healed together yet. Such a bummer.... So another week with no exercise or activity for her. Seems to be a slow healer.

6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

That is too bad! I am sending some healing vibes your way1 ----->>>>>>

Linda/NJ likes this.
  7. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I am glad they got it out and I hope it never returns. Too bad abut the stitches though. Hopefully it will heal well over the next week.

Linda/NJ likes this.
  8. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Talk to your vet about "slow" leash walks if you can get her to do that. Exercise is everything with boxers of any age especially the youngsters. Keep it low and slow.

Linda/NJ likes this.
  9. bxrbgood

bxrbgood Boxer Insane

Lily is 7? Our Ginger is 7 now too. She's still full of piss and vinegar.smileicon

Linda/NJ likes this.
  10. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Sammie was full of piss and vinegar at 5 when she had knee surgery but I got the little wigglebutt out before dawn (the only time I could at the time b/c of work) for her slow leash walks so that helped. Even at 5 years old she wasn't up to getting up before dawn (neither was I, but she needed it so I did it, lol)