mouths

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerkids

Boxer Booster
I have just got a new boxer, I plan on showing her (maybe) but wanted to know what other people who show their dogs think about boxers mouths. I understand that the boxer is one of the hardest breeds to breed and mouths are especially hard to get. This dog's only fault is her mouth , her lower jaw is rounded, apart from that she is a flashy boxer with a gorgeous neck, a great body and temperment. Should I show her or should I just breed with her later on down the track as her lines all have good mouths but obviously she has thrown back to a dog who didn't have a great mouth. I'd love to hear people's suggestions.

Cheers
Boxerkids
Proud parents of three brilliant boxers:confused:

JulieM

Boxer Insane
Well, her breeder will be able to advise you better, but how old is she? Puppy mouths change quite a bit before they're done, so if she's young she may end up OK. Also, how rounded is rounded? Remember that the standard describes an ideal - if her mouth is only slightly rounded but she's excellent in other ways, it may not be as big of an issue in the ring. All dogs have faults - there has not yet been the perfect Boxer bred. I would certainly breed her to dogs that are known to produce correct mouths, and if her mouth is so rounded as to keep her from showing I would be hesitant to breed her myself, as mouths are hard to get back, but that's a decision only you can make.

Julie is right, you need to sit down with her breeder and go over this. Only someone that knows this breed and is right there with you can help in this area. A rounded bite is a Spoon bite and is not a good mouth. But as Julie said, it is all subjective in how rounded or how pinched. A puppy with a slightly rounded mouth has a good chance of having a straight bite when their adult teeth come in. The other thing you need to look at is the amount of undershot. This will never get smaller with maturity so you want to look at that as well.

Bites are just so hard to even explain without being there. So call up your breeder today and set aside an afternoon to go over this and any other conformation questions you have. A good Show Breeder will be your lifeline into this breed and the show ring. They are your best asset and the one you can lean on any time of the day. A show breeder encourages such questions. Boxer is our favorite topic :)

boxerkids

Boxer Booster
:)
Thanks everyone for your replies. She is two in September, her breeder has asked me to show her in the Royal Show ( a big show for the Northern Territory), so I guess she doesn't think her mouth is that bad. The lines that she has in her pedigree all has really good mouths and the breeder is having trouble understanding why her mouth is not so good (her mother and father both have good mouths). A boxer judge has told me that he has seen worse mouths and her is only slightly rounded; the same judge said she is great in every other way. So I guess I'll give it a go.

Cheers
Boxerkids
Proud parents of
Jazzy flashy brindle girl (who loves to be contrary during obedience training):D
Reiko tan with black mask boy (the kid that handles everything in his stride):cool:
Caddy flashy tan and white girl (everything is new to her as she has lived in her kennel on the breeder's property for the last two years):rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.