1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merle's Door

Discussion in 'Books' started by larrygs, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrygs

larrygs Super Boxer

Just finished Merle's Door. Fascinating story with much to say about dog training, behaviour and intelligence. I really believe in contemporary methods and understanding. This book both reinforces some things and gives pause to question others.

BTW, the last chapter is quite touching and tough to get through. All with furr friends at the bridge will understand.

2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I just stated reading this as well. I am about a 3rd way through. Seeing how much freedom Merle had makes me sad for my city dogs. Someday I hope to have more land where my dogs can run free.

I always find it fascinating how “street smart” some dogs are (like Merle was). My dogs would all have been killed if thrown into Merle’s situation. I do believe (as Ted suggests in the book) that dogs become smarter when they have the freedom to make their own decisions.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  3. larrygs

larrygs Super Boxer

I feel the same as you. I have reflected on how the boxers I had many years ago had much more freedom. Then as leash laws became more and more enforced, and my insecurities increased, their ability to have freedom diminished.

Our first Sally, rarely saw a leash yet went with us everywhere without a problem I had a convertable at the time. She would wait in the car, top down, as I went shopping. Can't imagine a boxer doing that these days. Our second could go most places, off leash, but much less. Our third was hopeless off leash. It must be due to our training and opportunities.

So I have decided to expose Layla to more off leash experience in a safe responsible manner. If nothing else so she is a little more street smart, just in case.

Enjoy the book!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.