Low down on Bostons & Min Pins, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailrobc

Boxer Pal
We have always had large dogs, and Boxers exclusively for the last 8 years. We'd love, for a change, to adopt a small, short-haired dog that we can pick up to cuddle and who likes sleeping under the covers (without taking up the entire bed!) We only have one dog now, a Boxer female who is not as grouchy and "roost ruling" as most of the female Boxers I've known. However, like many females, she likes to bite when she wrestles with other dogs (our male Boxers wrestled HARD but only pretended to bite each other).

We first thought of an Italian Greyhound, but they are infamous for breaking legs and can only hold their wee about six hours in a crate (we want to sleep through the night!). We need a small breed, male dog who can: 1) play safely with our Boxer; 2) won't bust a leg jumping off the bed or while playing; 3) isn't yappy; and 4) can hold his bladder for as long as a larger dog. I see there are lots of Boston and Min Pin owners on this site and that you find their temperament and energy are a good match for the Boxers. Please, y'all, tell me how they rate on the four "practicality" points I've listed here.

Many thanks!

Leslie and Robert
Rohnert Park, California

BoxerDaneFam

Boxer Booster
I think both breeds are great dogs, but have never been around Min Pins like I have Bostons. Bostons are such neat little dogs, but can hold their own. They totally remind me of a little Boxer!

MinPin2Boxer

Super Boxer
Well, I've never had a Boston(but have been around some), but I do have a minpin and a boxer. I've had my minpin since she was 8 wks and she's 5 now. I've only had Simba my boxer for almost a year now. They get along ok, she not much on playing with big dogs. My exbf's minpin which lived with me most of his life up until recently was a male and he loved playing with Simba. They have no problem telling a big dog they are in charge. I think Bostons are more Boxer like, but I think either one would be a good match IMO.

frankied

Boxer Insane
We have a boxer and a BT and they get along so great! They are matched in the energy level and we always call Frank our little honourary boxer. He and Angel play and he can take whatever she dishes out and even gives her a run for her money! He doesn't seem to have any bladder issues. He goes out the same time Angel does. Hope this helps. Of course I am a little biased ;)

tysonriddick

Boxer Booster
I have a 3 year old female min pin and a 14 week old male boxer. So far they get along great. Delilah (min pin) and Tyson (boxer) play all the time. Now Delilah since day one had to be in bed with us under the covers and has not moved out since...lol She can also jump to the top of our fence which right now is 4 ft. She is definitely full of energy and a jumper. She has played a lot more since bringing him in. He is rough with her but she can definitely take it and dish it out. She was hard to housebreak only because she is a small dog and has a not so big bladder however we weren't consistent with it either with a new baby and all that. She is now fully housetrained and can hold it up to 11 hours sometimes longer but she absolutely will not go in the house or her crate. The only not so good thing with her is she is definitely yappy...She will bark if someone is here if she hears the mail truck or thinks she hears someone outside. Also everytime she goes outside she has to make it known she is there. Yappy doesn't bother me as there are ways to help with no bark. I am learning that in school now. I hope you enjoy whichever you get and look forward to seeing an update on what you decide. If you have anymore ?'s of min pins feel free to ask.

Nicole

Mama_Zookeeper

Boxer Insane
Mia the boston can hold her own with any boxer! She is such a little character...full of spunk! She can woowoo, be a bully, playfull,wiggles, make fierce tazmanian devil noises when wrestling! She a like a mini-boxer in so many ways! Small but sturdy. We have a cousin with a min-pin who also plays well with my babies. He is older though and when he is done playing he gets snappish and sends my babies running for cover!

Dora

Cholbert

Boxer Insane
?

Are you still deciding which breed to get? We have a male min pin who turns 2 in June and a female boxer who turned 1 in February. She was smaller than him when we first got her - now she's about 70 lbs to his 11 lbs. He kicks her butt. He's the boss. They play and play and play - then sleep cuddled up together - then break out of it and play.

What we found that works to help is our pin has his designated places to chill out away from her - things with small openings so he can get away from her if he wants. She boxes and swats him and either it hurts him or he gets really mad at her. She is a busy busy busy body - he is not.

I am 110% in love with min pins. Ours is amazingly not yappy for a little dog - he holds it through the night and has since he was about 5 months old. I can't say enough about a well-trained min pin.

The great thing about these 2 (though not great for us) is that he is the brains and she is his brawn. She protects him and even when they have escaped the backyard they never leave each other. In fact, when she gets out now (6 ft is too high for the pin but not the boxer) she never leaves the fenceline because she wants him with her.

The only thing I worry about is her ability to hurt him - he's a sturdy little guy, but she runs right over the top of him and pins are known for hurting their patella's easily. I think boterriers are great - it might be one of our next dogs in fact - but I have to give a shout out for a min pin. GREAT dogs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.