Ky to CA whats the best way to transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathee

Boxer Booster
I am intrested in adopting a puppy from a friend in KY who cannot devote the time and energy to her beautiful 8mo little boxer boy. I am trying to figure out however the best way to get him to his new home in CA.
I had considered having him flown out on a commercial plane but was told that the dogs have ot be placed in a place called the cargo hold and that it is not air conditioned.
Poor little guy will be going thru enough having already changed families twice in his short life and making such a long journey to his new (my) family. I would hate for him to be uncomfortable or worse yet placed in a dangerous condition. I know boxers dont do well in the heat and I am concerned ...
Does anyone know of any other way to transport then on an airplane?
I am also considering the Boxer CUR although it seems to me, no offence to anyone, that is is like giving hte baby to strangers and I want ot make sure he is safe KWIM?

Last edited:

tesster

Boxer Insane
You're not likely to be able to fly him during the summer. The airlines have a heat restriction on certain breeds (boxers among them). If the weather is above a certain degrees they will not allow them to fly for their safety. In KY and CA in the summer, you're not likely to be able to entertain that as an option. However, the cabins in which the animals are stowed are pressurized and temp controlled. The concern with the heat/cold is with the time they sit on the tarmac.

You could look into specialty shipping of animals. I know they have services that specialize in that kind of service, but I've never personally used one.

Here's one such organization. Again, I'm not endorsing them, just did a google search and this one came up. http://animaltransportation.com/

Best of luck!
Julie

Last edited:

Kathee

Boxer Booster
well it looks like a flight is out of the question. I have called every airline imaginable and its just too hot. :( I am concerned because the current owner of the dog want to place him at the shelter if I dont figure out a way to get him soon and I physically cant drive there and back :(
I filled out the form at the company you found tesster, thank you I hope that works!
I am also trying now to figure out how to do the Boxer CUR but I am not sure its going to work being so darn far :(

Last edited:

tesster

Boxer Insane
There are definitely other companies that specifically specialize in animal transport. Do a google search and ask for quotes/info from all the ones you can find. There has to be a way.

Best of Luck!
Julie

Kathee

Boxer Booster
well I am begining to lose hope. We know that he is not UTD on shots and vet care so there will be a financial impact once he arrives and I cannot pay the $800 to $1200 that most of the animal transport companies are asking for knowing that there will be substantial vet bills once he arrives. :(
I am very sad. I dont want ot se him end up at a shelter.
He is a beautiful boy (he is my avatar at the moment)
We really want to make him a part of our family but I just cant seem ot figure out a way to do it until the heat wave breaks and he can fly :(
I wish my kids wernt starting school on Monday and I could just drive there and get him myself. The timeing is just so off ....

If anyone out there has any idea of how to get him the 2200+ miles from Louisville to Sacramento my family and Apollo would really appreciate it ...

Last edited:

MayKay&SaJo

Boxer Booster
Hmmm. I'm in Arkansas...I'd be happy to help transport him across the state if someone can get him to the Arkansas border and can meet me in the next state - maybe Oklahoma???

Have you tried contacting the boxer rescue services in Kentucky to see if anyone would be able to volunteer with transportation costs?

crowpete

Boxer Insane
This is so heart breaking. It is just not fair that the dog would go to a shelter (possible kill) when there is a family that is trying their best to get him. If I was in a state that the pup had to go through I would for sure help out. I will keep you and the pup in my prayers!

Is there anyone that could watch your kids for a couple of days so you could go pick the pup up? I know that is a long shot but if it is possible it would give the baby another chance for a wonderful life....With you!

Clamcurry

Boxer Pal
transporting your puppy

I would recommend pet air... I recently had my little girl shipped and it only cost about $200 I had to ship her overnight because of the heat restrictions... they will not fly if the temperature is over 85 degrees, and being from the stockton,ca area I know it gets pretty hot.. so you would have to ship her to San Francisco.. but when I got her she was healthy and perky...and the dog would need a health certificate..just try and get a quote... the website is flypets.com

StormKatz

Super Boxer
Did you check Continental (sp?) airlines. My sister & brother in law moved from Kentucky to Las Vegas in June & used Continental because they have air conditioned cargo holds.

The airline was wonderful & all four of her babies (ages 7 years to 4 years) arrived happily.

I think she paid about $150 each, but I'm sure a dog would cost a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.