1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kittens?

Discussion in 'Puppy Socializing' started by BabyEmma, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BabyEmma

BabyEmma Boxer Buddy

Not really sure where to put this. But as some of you know, Emma will be here tomorrow morning(YAY!). Well, while babysitting earlier, the kids had 3 baby kittens (i would say about 2-3 weeks old) that they found in the woods with a dead mother cat. One of their friends was getting the little orange, and they were possibly keeping the little black one. Leaving the beautiful blue eyed tabby baby. They were saying if they didnt find a home for him in the next couple days, they were taking him to the pound (and the only one around here is very high kill). So, me being the animal lover that I am and not being able to resist the face of a teeny kitten, especially one who's life depended on it, little Xavier came home. SO, my question, this baby is soooo little, do you think Emma will get too rough? I've never had a boxer puppy before, but I'm pretty sure their energy level is high? Should I even try to introduce them until Xavier gets a little bigger and is moving around more?

BTW, I dont think its going to work out with the other lady with the brindle pups. She supposedly had a family emergency and couldnt meet with us, and now she isnt returning my phone calls almost a week later. So it will just be Emma.

Thanks in advance!

2. Louise501

Louise501 Boxer Insane

I would leave it until the the kitten is older, he will be so fragile and boxer puppies can be quite rough even at a very young age :)

3. Kaybie's Mom

Kaybie's Mom Boxer Insane

I am fostering a baby kitten right now. She was found abandonded with 3 dead kittens. She was aprx 3 weeks old when I brought her home. I'm not sure if you know what you're in for. I commend you for bringing the kitty home and such, but baby kittens this young need a lot of care. Their body temps need to be warm or they can die. Also, you will need to bottle feed her a kitten replacement formula called KMR. It's like baby formula (powder that you mix with water) and the kitten will need to be fed every 3-4 hours. Then comes the really fun part.....most people don't realize this.....kittens this young do not know how to go to the bathroom on their own yet. This is why you see the mother cat licking the kittens' bottom.....it stimulates them to go. So every time after they eat, you have to take a warm and damp cloth or paper towel and massage their bottom until they go. (IF THIS IS NOT DONE, THE KITTEN'S WASTE WILL BACK UP INSIDE THEM AND IT IS TOXIC AND IT WILL KILL THEM IN A MATTER OF DAYS). This can be quite a task.....especially making them poop. And unfortunately, the formula that they need to drink can make them somewhat constipated. Onyx (my foster kitten) is now about 6 weeks old and using the litter box on her own and is eating canned kitten food from a dish. BUT it took a long time to get to this point and a lot of patience. I commend you for taking care of this kitty, just make sure you are ready for the hard work before you make any major decisions. You also will have to teach the kitten bite inhibition (my vet taught me techniques that seem to be working pretty well). Overall, it's been a great experience helping this baby kitten and now I am trying to find her a good home so she can be adopted in the next couple weeks.

And regarding the boxer puppy with a fragile baby kitten. Kaybie (my boxer) is 7 months old.......was about 6 months old when I brought Onyx (the kitten) home. I allowed Kaybie to smell Onyx but was VERY SUPERVISED. Kaybie shocked me with her gentleness. The first time I set Onyx next to Kabyie, she tried to let the kitten nurse on her stomach. Kaybie just wants to play with the kitten so I had to really be right there watching, otherwise they are separated. Now that Onyx is about 6 weeks old and is a playful crazy kitty, they have a great time together....chasing each other and the kitten bats at Kaybie's face and then takes off running.......it's hilarious to watch and they have really become good friends. I still have to supervise just to make sure they don't get too rough, but overall, Kaybie seems to know how to play with her without hurting her. Right now, my bathroom is Onyx's paradise when I'm not home.....her litter box, towels to lay on and her food is all in there so she is safe and taken care of while I'm not there. There are pictures of Kaybie and Onyx together in my gallery.

Good luck with the kitty, and if you need more advice/help, let me know......

4. sjt3409

sjt3409 Boxer Buddy

My parents were watching Brittany for a few weeks while I was traveling. They had a garage cat that had kittens that were 10-12 weeks old. While Brittany was outside one day she thought one of the kittens was a toy, my mom saw here running across the lawn with one in her mouth....needless to say the kitten did not make it. My gf is bringing home a kitten in a month so we are going to have to be very watchful of Brittany, she likes to play kind of rough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.