Is he mixed?? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlbebe

Boxer Pal
I bought this handsome boy Halloween 08 he is suppose to be purebred boxer! When he was a little guy he looked just like a boxer, however hes seven months old now and looking less and less like a boxer to me. I would love opinions about what hes mixed with or maybe if its bad breeding? He acts like a boxer, stands like a boxer, eiter way I love him more then anything boxer or not!

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195/Stlbebe03/?action=view&current=DSC00800.jpg

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195/Stlbebe03/?action=view&current=DSC00691.jpg

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195/Stlbebe03/?action=view&current=DSC00871.jpg

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
...eiter way I love him more then anything boxer or not!

Good :) Whether he is pure bred or not doesn't make any difference to the wonderful pet he is. I hope you enjoy him for many years to come :)

To give an opinion to your actual question though - I would be very surprised if he is a purebred boxer. He has very little appearance that is typical of boxers, particularly around the head (wrong shape, wrong colour).

Being a bit more specific - he appears to have a scissor bite. That is normal for the vast majority of dog breeds, but the absolute reverse of the undershot jaw that typifies a boxer skull. His muzzle is long and narrow, rather than the square 'block' of a boxer muzzle. He also lacks completely the black mask that should cover his entire muzzle, right up to over the eyebrows. The ears are large and low-set. Less striking (but also relevant) is his lack of deep chest, and withers that appear level with or lower than his rump. These physical attributes do typify many dog breeds. But are atypical of boxers.

Any one of those features (particularly relating to the head) would make me doubt that the pup was a boxer. With so many atypical features - I would be very much of the opinion that he is not a boxer.

As to what he may be mixed with... very hard to say. In fact he reminds me most of a Visla, but when you've got the genes of more than one breed at work, such guesses can be well off the mark! Whatever he is, the end result is a very cute puppy :)

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Definitely does not look purebred to me. Body looks possible Boxer, but head definitely not. Not sure what he's mixed with, maybe hound, maybe Vizla(sp?), maybe more than one thing and so who knows.

But what is important is that you love him regardless, and he looks very sweet!

Skywalker

Boxer Booster
I think the above posts have confirmed it for you but I just wanted to say he is gorgeous! He has such a sweet face and a lovely fur colour! Hope you are enjoying him cool2icon

SweetCody

Boxer Insane
I think you have gotten some great answers so far. I would say that he is mixed as well. But that second picture you have up, OMG what a cutie pie lovicon . Whatever he is he is a doll.

Stlbebe

Boxer Pal
He does not have a scissor bite, he has a underbite, just like a boxer, when he was a baby he looked just like a boxer! I really wish I knew, i want to call and tell the breeder to give me my money back, its dishonest to sell someone something and have it be something totally different! (not that i dont LOVE him, but people upset me)

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
There's absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he is a mixed breed. He's obviously mixed with Boxer, but he is definitely not a full breed Boxer, that picture as well as the other pictures it's very obvious IMO. Definitely not a Boxer head.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Here he is, how he normally stands, im not trying to prove he is a boxer, but this is a little better pic to maybe help people help me figure him out!!

Well, he certainly looks more boxer-like in stance there :) In all honesty, from the previous pictures, I wouldn't have been confident that he was part boxer (i.e. could equally have guessed a mix of other breeds entirely).

The head is still all wrong for a boxer though, so I'd still put my money on him being mixed with another breed. I notice that none of his siblings have the (essential) characteristic black mask and head shape of a boxer either - though in reality that's actually not a determining factor, as it is possible for every puppy in a litter to have different fathers. At least from the picture you've posted, I would not be convinced that any of those pups are purebred (the middle one looking closest - but I suspect that is partly because his white flash disguises the lack of mask and makes the muzzle appear squarer than it actually is).

In any case, I think that unless you go so far as DNA profiling, you're unlikely ever to know for certain what his ancestry may be.

I can certainly understand the annoyance... but I also think the best thing you can do is just to put it down to experience, resolve to choose breeders more carefully another time - and concentrate on loving your pup for the great dog that he is. Ultimately, that is the important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.