1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How who you train a growing pup to leave a small older dog alone?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by silly24boxer, Feb 26, 2015.

1. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

So Coal is now 7 month old with the typical play with me boxer attitude. My small 6 Year old frug (French bulldog pug mix) has for the most part had enough of him. My vet said let them figure it out but that is not working. She will play with him on her terms, as soon as he starts biting her ears, she cries and he won't back off. So we try redirect him. He respects my sisters pointer no issues, she straightens him out fast and he listens. Bella just isn't strong enough, or to polite to just let him have it. She is very nervous and always looking over her shoulder. Coal get lots of exercise, and I take him out with other dogs.
    Some tips on dealing with this would be great. Thanks

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Remove him from the situation any time he begins the behavior you/Bella don't tolerate. Time out until he calms down, then he can be released again. Rinse and repeat as often as necessary...
    You can use a cue word like "enough" right before you grab him, hopefully with enough repetition the word alone will be enough to tone him down. :)

If they play together and he just gets too amped up, what I do with my guys is call them away from play frequently, reward, and then send them back. My doberman has a tendency to just get really excited and obnoxious when she's playing with Juno and it leads to rough play that I just don't care for (I think it bugs me more than it bugs Juno)... so, I might let them run around for a bit, and while the play is still loose and casual call "Juno, Cajun come"... they each get a treat or a few when they get to me, this gives them a little break and a chance to calm down, then I release them to go play again. Basically I'm just interrupting them before they have the chance to get wild.

I think your general approach here though just needs to be staying consistent with removing him when he starts to bother her. Of course praise him when he's polite, too :)

brodieboxer and Jan like this.
  3. brodieboxer

brodieboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

Great advice above - nothing to add!

4. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane