How long between pee pee ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroplourde

Boxer Pal
I was wondering how long is it normal for a 6 week old puppy to go between peeing again? It seems that he is doing just that. Luka can go sometimes twice in an half hour before he falls asleep again. It is hard to just keep an eye on him at «all» times and I just seem to be always walking in pee when he is u:eek: p . I keep the doors to the bedrooms closed so he has less place to do it but it seems very often. I moisten his food with water ( it becomes a mush) maybe less water in his food? Thank you for your advice.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Six weeks is still very young and your puppy has very little control at that age. That is one of the reasons, among many others why it is a good idea to leave puppies with their littermates and mom until they are 8 weeks of age.

You are just going to have be very patient and expect to do a lot of cleaning up in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck with you puppy.

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
At 8 weeks, I took Maggie out every 1/2 hour for the first month. As pups, their bladder muscles are not fully developed and they must go frequently. Also, they don't always empty their bladders completely on the first try when the do go out. I found that if I kept Maggie out for about 20 minutes, she'd pee twice.

I also took her out upon waking up, before and after meals, and after any play session (playing stimulates bladder function and they usually have to pee pee after they play). And of course, before bedtime and during the night (if necessary). After the first month, I increased the time between trips out. There were still a few accidents, but not that many. Usually only when I forgot the schedule or when Maggie had an upset tummy.

Be sure to reward and praise when the pup goes in the correct place outside. This teaches the dog that it is good to do his business outside and the opposite (mommie gets upset) if he does his business inside the house.

It takes time. Be patient. Housebreaking is difficult, but it is something all dogs go through and they do learn.

Good luck.

Caroplourde

Boxer Pal
Thank you for your quick replies. I'm happy to learn that everything is okay with my puppy ( I was sure it was ). I

have already started getting him outside more often and it is better. If he has a doggie diaper in his crate for the night and does his thing on it is it okay or is it better to go outside? At three in the morning? sleepicon When he wakes

up during the night (once or twice) I just go and talk to him to get him to fall asleep again. This takes five or ten

minutes, the object of this beeing him sleeping eventually through the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.