how far do you walk your dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
How long and how far do you walk your dog? I'm curious and don't want to overdo it with Rocky. He is 6 months old and just started walking great on his gentle leader harness since we've been going more regularly. I'm also enjoying them more and want to keep going! We usually do 15-20 minutes, but would 30-45 be okay?

Isn't there some type of formula for how much forced exercise (since he is ON leash) you can do with your dog based on age? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it. I know i've read it somewhere....

plus I'm curious as to how long, how far and how often people walk their boxers!!

Thanks

Madea

Super Boxer
Tyson is also 6 months old. I walk him 30-40 minutes a day. He would like to walk longer but i dont push it. I take him out twice a day for 20 minute walks. If i am doing to much or not doing enough, please let me know.

Darbysmom1

Super Boxer
Don't Push it

I do not know if there is a set formula as much as you do not want to push a puppy at all if the puppy wants to walk only 15 minutes that is all you walk if it wants to walk 30 minutes that is good too I would not push it much past that maybe 45 minutes if the puppy enjoys it and is wanting to do that but you have to remember at 6 months they are still structurally developing and you can do some real harm if you push a puppy. I know for sure you do not want to take a puppy jogging or running at 6 months they are just too young. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck dont worry soon the puppy will be all grown up and you can do all the conditioning you want.

whiskers

Boxer Insane
Juno was less than 6 months old when we started going on daily 2 mile walks (so, I think that's roughly 45 minutes).

We don't go on too many walks anymore because they just don't do anything for her. But when we do go it's only for about 20 minutes.

MKAD

Boxer Insane
I never gauged the time or distance; it is more important for me to go by the weather. Sally gets overheated really quick & Sam can't tolerate the cold.

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
40 minutes

I walked Rocky for 40 minutes last night - kept pace really nice and didn't stop or drag at all. He did really well. He fell asleep about 1 hour earlir than he normally does on my lap on the couch so I think he was pretty tired. It's cold but not TOO cold (approx 30 degrees F) so he doesn't mind the cold. I think temperature is a good point - when it's really warm out I don't see us going as far - unless I bring water to give him some relief.

I guess I'll just go by how he seems to be doing. Trouble is if I'm 20 minutes away then we have to walk 20 minutes back..lol. I ain't carrying a 50lb dog home!! hehe

Furface

Boxer Booster
the kennel club recommend 5 mins per month of puppy, as a rough rule of thumb, mine are lucky enough to have open fields to run in, so they have a lot more than if you were to apply that guidance to a steet walk

Josue

Boxer Buddy
We got our 2 year old rescue, Tyson, about 3 weeks ago. It's been pretty cold here in Northeast Ohio, but we had a mid-30 degree (F) day this past thursday, so I took the opprotunity to walk him for about an hour. I had his fleece sweater on, and he seemed to REALLY enjoy the time out! We've felt bad because we know it's good to get him out for daily walks both for his excercise sake, as well as establishing us as the pack leaders/alphas, but it's been out of our hands because of weather.

When I got home, I fed him, then my fiance got home and he was his usual excited self for about 15 mins, then he literally slept the ENTIRE evening away! From about 5pm, till 11pm when I got him up to take him out before bed...LOL It was nice, because he's been getting more and more needy for attention since we're gone for 8hrs a day, so we can't wait for the spring when we can walk him daily and release some of his energy...

LeeUmm

Boxer Buddy
the kennel club recommend 5 mins per month of puppy, as a rough rule of thumb, mine are lucky enough to have open fields to run in, so they have a lot more than if you were to apply that guidance to a steet walk

Ya I think I read on here people say 5mins for every month over 3 months they are. So 4 months would be 5mins, 5 months 10min etc.

I personally felt that was a bit short, so I go a bit longer but keep it basic as to not overdue it.

You don't want to cause joint problems and such when they get older. However, walking on grass is easier on them compared to pavement.

JingerK

Boxer Pal
Our 8 m/o Jinger and I do some light jogging with intervals of walking. We go about 30-40 minutes and she seems to enjoy it without issue.

Of course some days she just doesn't "feel it" at all ....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.