how do i stop my puppies food aggression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicky h

Boxer Pal
I have a nine week old brindle pup. I also have two other senior dogs. I started feeding Genesis separately as she needs puppy food. My other dogs have always had food available all day long since they never take advantage. They also have never had any qualms about sharing with any visiting dog which is exactly the kind of attitude towards food I want my dogs to have. They were both grown when I got them and came with this attitude.
The problem is---Now Genesis is starting to go over to thier dish and growl and bark and swat at them when they come over to eat or even walk in that general vacinity. I tried increasing the amount I feed her (she will eat until she throws up so I have to ration her) but hasn't seemed to help and she is starting to look serious about her food guarding rather than anything close to playful. She doesnt display this behavior towards me or any human visitor, just her siblings.
Also I cant just put the other dogs food up. My 14yr old Pitt has AIHA--- a seriouse and eventually fatal chronic disease. It affects her appetite so any time that she will eat something I really need it to be available for her.
I know besides this being an annoying behavior it also has the potential to become a dangerous one. If anyone has any idea how to rid her or this please let me know. Any advice would be appreciated. Even if its something that seems super obvious to you. This is my first infant canine of any kind so im kinda flying blind here. Have her signed up for behavior training but the first opening they had doesnt start for 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks in advance....

tastubbs

Boxer Insane
Hopefully you will get some good advice on this, as I have never been able to solve this with one of my rescues. Since you need to leave food down, perhaps you could put it in a certain place that can be temporarily isolated and started training the puppy that she is not allowed to go in that area - ever.

sandy's mom

Boxer Insane
Leaving food down all the time is not a good idea for your puppy.

You could start feeding her in a certain spot or your house, or in her crate.
Feeding her by hand will also help with food aggression. Your older dogs will let her know when she has overstepped her welcome I am sure.
But, it will be much easier for you to control it.

Crate feeding works really well and that way she will be on a regular schedule.

Maybe you can more the other dog bowls where they are not visible to her. Kinda out of sight, out of mind.

Good Luck.

Vicky h

Boxer Pal
Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I have set Genesis up in her own feeding spot for breakfast which she has gotten the hang of quite well. As predicted the other dogs soon tired of her shenanegans and a few power checks later she stopped snarling at them and peace was restored. She now ignores their dishes altogether except for the occasional mouthful. She gets her supper in her crate as I started working overnights. Also her hiccups have lessened a lot now that she is aware of when to expect to eat and slowed down to a decent pace. It's so fun to watch her growing up and taking her own special place in the pack. She makes me laugh every day! Again thanks for the support!

Status
Not open for further replies.