1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I keep this from getting worse?

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Caney Creek, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Ace has been with us for almost two months now, he's adjusted very well and overall is a really good boy. Although he and Caney don't really play other than running together in the yard occasionally, they get along just fine and I believe they do enjoy each other's company.

Tonight however I was worried that they might fight. We have an evening routine when we come to bed, I always refill the water bowl in our bedroom with fresh water and Caney slurps down nearly half of it before going to lie down on her bed. Tonight she did exactly that, then Ace got up from his bed and came over to the bowl for a drink. Caney was already lying down at that point, but she got up from her bed to follow Ace to the bowl and stood behind him, staring him down as he drank. After about 10 seconds she moved in and stuck her head right next to his, basically claiming the water bowl. Ace got the hint and took a few steps away towards our master bathroom. Caney did not move from the bowl. At this point Ace was cornered in the bathroom with his back still to Caney, both dogs were not moving. Then we heard Caney start to growl under her breath! That's when we broke it up and told both dogs to go lay down on their separate beds. They did.

Although I don't think Ace did anything wrong in this particular scenario, I must add that in the time Ace has been with us we've noticed that he doesn't have much concept of personal space. He lies on Caney all the time, will push her out of the way for attention or to drink out of the spigot in the yard, etc. Basically if there's something he wants or somewhere he wants to be, it's like she's not even there. I've struggled with trying to figure out if this is a dominance issue or if he's really just clueless. But it's obvious after tonight that Caney is getting fed up with it.

What do I do to keep this from getting worse?? When should I correct them, when should I let them figure things out?

2. bxrbgood

bxrbgood Boxer Insane

I would have told her no as soon as she started claiming the water bowl.(not in a mean or mad way) Then talk to her, tell her he's alright and part of the family. I think you need to let her know you love him and let him know to respect her, like you do. When you see him lay on her ask him to get up and move, Ace give her a break. He'll learn boundaries.
    I don't even let ours get close to fighting if I can help it. We have three very different temperaments, but with the right guidance no animosity among them. That is not to say there isn't competition between them. But they all get their turn at attention and all get to see each is valued. (loved)

Caney Creek likes this.
  3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I think I would have told Caney to go lie down as soon as she started to claim the water bowl. I wouldn't let Ace be too pushy either.

Caney Creek likes this.
  4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I have had similar jealousy problems with Skully. Anytime Arabella is getting attention he jumps up and gets in between. I just tell him to go sit or lay down and wait his turn. I knew I was going to have food issues with Arabella because she has always been food aggressive. I feed them in separate areas, though Skully finishes first and will go over near Arabella while she finishes. From the beginning I told him to stay back. One day when my back was turned he stepped closer. Arabella gave a growl and he stepped back. We haven't had a problem since. In fact when Arabella is almost done she even lets him help finish. That took about 6 months to get to though.

We have never had a water bowl issue, and that may be because Arabella has never been much of a drinker. If it happens again where Caney has finished and laid down, and then gets up to stop Ace, I would correct Caney as soon as she starts to move.

I hope everything works out. It can be a balancing act at times.

Caney Creek likes this.
  5. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

Could they each have their own bowl of water?

6. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

They seem to be doing much better now. Actually the same scenario almost played out the following night, except when Caney got up from her bed to follow Ace to the bowl, she instead came over to me and looked at me with ears pinned back and a nervous wiggle. After the previous night she already knew what I was going to say! Lol. I told her No ma'am, go lay down. She did, and that was that! No issues since.

I've also noticed Ace being a little more respectful of Caney's space since the first incident. So that's good news too.

A couple days later they played together and boxed for the first time! applauseicon It made me so happy!

MissDakota and rena like this.
  7. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

That is great news! It sounds like they are starting to work things out with a little direction from you. :)

Caney Creek likes this.