Help!!!! Don't know what to do! (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angleheart

Completely Boxer Crazy
As some of you know, I lost my beloved Harley to a brain tumor 2mths ago today. Well, as heartbroken as I am, I need another boxer to love. I have the opportunity to move in with a friend, rent free mind you, he lives in a house with a fenced yard where I would then qualify to adopt an older boxer from the local boxer rescue...something I would really like to do! Thing is, he has a 4yo male, neutured boxer and i'm worried that he might not like "another dog" moving in on his territory. He grew to dislike Harley being anywhere near his family once he matured and was neutured just last year. This would obviously be a HUGE prob. OR, I could still move in with him and get a puppy as moving in with him would mean someone would be home more often for the puppy, BUT, I am afraid of creating another separation anxiety dog! Harley had it, it was not fun for him or me, and I'm so afraid I'll do it again. However, my thought is that my friends dog might accept a puppy better over an adult...true or not? I don't know! OR, I could stay in my apt. and get a puppy. Problem with that is, I've never crate trained, and don't know if I'm strong enough to resist those little puppy cries!!! Am I overthinking all of this???? I work 9-5 and could come home for lunch but that would still mean puppy would be in his crate too long in my opinion. I could ask my friend to come over and help, but how do I do that when he has already made such a wonderful offer as to move in with him rent free? My family prob thinks I'm crazy because I've been debating for about a month now on this. Does anyone out there have any thoughts or experience that could point me in the right direction?? And, one more thing to add, i've been checking the local shelters and not a whole lot in the way of boxers comes up. I think I want a 1-2yo female and most in the shelter and rescue are males.

Sorry to long, but having a terrible time trying to figure out the best option for whoever I bring home with me. I don't want to bring ANYONE into a bad situation.

Thanks in advance.

elindave

Completely Boxer Crazy
Lori, sounds to me like you have a big heart. :) I couldn't advise you on what to do, but I just wanted to wish you luck in your decision. I truly hope everything can be worked out so you can get another furbaby. keep us posted :)

Eli
Nikita (Aug 28 07) fawn, floppy, docked

kayboxer

Boxer Insane
What about getting a female? Maybe a young female, but not a puppy. Sometimes, a male/female relationship works much better than male/male. I hope you get to adopt one! :)

angleheart

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks for the well wishes guys, it means a lot. I am actully thinking a female, there is one that I am REALLY interested in at the boxer rescue. She is 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old and beautiful and I am drawn to her! My sister said she kinda reminds her of Harley :confused: She doesn't look anything like him. There probably is something there hence my attraction to her. Don't know anything about her yet, she is in foster care in a home that has another boxer in it and they have not put up anymore info on her yet. You have no idea how close i've come to submitting the application! May get the nerve to do it soon!

liamsmom

Super Boxer
you are not overthinking this. you are being realistic in everyone's needs....yours, your friend's and the dogs'. you are giving serious thought to very valid concerns that you have.
1. you want to move...whether it's in with your friend or not...you are trying to make that decision.
2. you want another boxer...which is pretty much driving the decision on whether or not you should move in with your friend; since he has a boxer already.
all worth thinking about before making an impetuous decision.

i would probably contact the rescue and ask them if they would consider working with you, your friend and your friend's dog. I would see if maybe you can bring your friend's dog with you and get him around other dogs and see how he does with them. maybe they can do the home inspection at your friend's house. i would be completely honest with the rescue and just explain the situation you are in and see if they will work with you.
heck......your friend's dog may just have a say in the dog that you choose. :)

Alex C.

Super Boxer
I think a female would be a good first choice. Males get along well too and both of them will be neutered. I'm sure the rescue is good at that and they will place a female with you, or a male that can get along with your friend's dog. I'd get a rescue before a pup though, sounds like that would be easier on you and everyone else.

catcrazy56

Boxer Insane
The rescue I work with places males with females hopefully for you home visit they will bring the female to see if the 2 of them get along they will also judge the male to see if the female they have in mind will get along with your friends male.

angleheart

Completely Boxer Crazy
Again, thank you all for your ideas and possitive vibes. I like the idea of the straight forward approch & even better than bringing ANY female to my friends, I would like THE female I'm intersted in to be brought over. My thinking is that Gino might not like every female, that certain personalities go together better than others regardless of sex. Does this sound crazy or do you think this would be asking too much of the rescue?

Alex C.

Super Boxer
I don't think that's too much to ask. I mean you are hopefully adopting a dog for a loooong time. I'd do that first and then see how they get along. They might ask you to take your friends dog to "Alpine" (if it's the local rescue I'm thinking) and have him meet several dogs to see how things go. At least, that's what they told me to do when I was going to adopt through them.

Lucky me, my girl is soooo dog friendly & submissive, she got along w/every dog, they introduced her to lol. Unlucky me, is their was a miscommunication and the dog we picked got adopted out to someone else.

Good luck.

billbgh

Completely Boxer Crazy
I think that the biggest concern that I would have is where are you living? Your situation seems to be a bit in limbo and I don't think that bringing in a dog(adult or puppy) would be advisable until you make the decision as to where YOU are living. I understand that the two decisions kind of coincide, but let's say that you move in with your friend and you get a puppy. What if his dog hurts the puppy? Let's say you get an adult dog. What if his dog hurts your new dog? After reading your posts, I think that you take great care of your dogs, but again, what about your living situation? I am not trying to be mean, I am trying to be supportive in the fact that if you move somewhere and you aren't happy, then your dog(puppy or adult) will know and this will affect them too. I wish you luck with whatever you decide and if not today, then I know that you will get your new boxer baby soon:)

ERin
Apollo & Rocky's mom

Status
Not open for further replies.