1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

handler question

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by lookingtowin, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lookingtowin

lookingtowin Boxer Pal

This weekend is my boxers first show. She is 11 months old. I am using the handler that my breeder recommended. He had me leave my boxer with him at the show which I was fine with but when I saw her this morning I was not happy. She was crouchy, ears pinned, pulling on the lead. The handler says that it is because she is spoiled. While it is true that she is spoiled, it is also true that she is very obiedient and loves to please. She did win her class but the win was bitter sweet when I saw how miserable she was. I think the straw that broke this camels back was when the handler went to put her in the crate and she refused and his answer was to drag her in violently. She has never refused the crate and actually can often be found there of her own free will. Even then I really felt that since this was her first show, she should have been handled with a little more patience. I ended up bringing her home for the night because my gut and heart would not let me leave her. I am so glad I did. She was very depressed when we left the show and stopped at my office on the way home. By the time we got home she had started to show interest in things around her but went right into her crate and fell fast asleep. After a long nap she showed the first signs of wanting to play. I have to say that this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth.

So my questions are: is this what I should expect? Can handlers win while the dog has fun? Is that asking to much?

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I don't have any showing experience, but I can say with certainty that NO handler should treat a dog in such a way that makes it act like that. What if your girl develops a fear of showing, starts hating her crate or becomes shy towards all people, because of this jerk?? That certainly wouldn't help her chances of winning in the future... not to mention the problems it would cause for you on a daily basis.

I would definitely call your breeder now and explain what happened, and see if maybe there's someone else that you could use instead. Did the handler not even explain what he meant when he said she's "spoiled"? Even still that doesn't make it OK for him to treat her like that. :(

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I would find a new handler for future shows....it sounds like this one does not get along with your girl. From what I've gleaned (listening to show people at the place I train), you want the dog to be excited/energetic/happy in the ring. Not sulking and looking upset.

The only thing I can commiserate with the handler on is the crate issue. My happy to be crated dog will REFUSE to go into the "crate room" or into his crate at obedience competitions. I usually have to pick him up and put him in there (quite a feat at 85 lbs of dog, 150 lbs of person). Still not OK to drag/force a puppy into a crate though, makes you wonder what happens when you aren't watching. :(

Congrats on the win. :)

4. SaharaNight

SaharaNight Boxer Buddy

I handle my own dog, but I have to miss a show this weekend so I hired a handler. My handler enjoys showing and she ISN'T IN IT FOR THE MONEY!!! She really enjoys showing and so does my dog with her. I would DEFINATELY get a new handler! In fact, if that behavior is repeated many times by that handler I would say something to all her clients or possibly the show super. She needs to be held responsible, plus, you're protecting future dogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.