Found boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShariB

Boxer Booster
I'm not sure if this is the right place, so bear with me.

My good friend had a boxer wonder up to her doorstep a few days ago, collar, no tags, very rough looking (scars, very thin, flea infested, intact)
She of course fell in love with him, he's such a sweetie. She took him to the vet, had him checked for a chip, nothing found. Checked craigslist, and the animal shelters to see if anyone reported a missing pet. Nothing.She treated his fleas, got him some food, had him vaccinated.
He looks like his hip is messed up, she bought him back to the vet yesterday for xray and a thorough check over.
He is heart worm +, and has intestinal parasites. They had told her the treatment for the heart worms would be up around 2000.00. She is treating the intestinal parasites with a course of month long antibiotic.

Is there any place that would do a cheaper heart worm treatment, are there any clinics, or rescues that may work on a sliding scale.

I'm trying to give her as much information as I can with it. She really wants to keep him, she was very torn this morning when I spoke to her.

Any advice that can be recommended to help would be very greatly appreciated.
Thx.

Holden's Mom

Boxer Insane
Good for your friend. It's great she wants to help this fella. Why not email or call a local rescue in your area and ask them who they use to treat heartworm? They will surely be able to get a better deal than your friend has been quoted. I once took in a couple of stray cats, and was able to use the vet services and get the discounted price that a local no kill shelter used, just by asking the shelter. After shots and neutering, I was able to place the two cats. Win, win all the way around.

Pam and Autry

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Have your friend contact the local ASPCA. They sometimes have programs to help or will have contact info for organizations that can help. You can even to a web search for agancies in her area. Good luck to her!

Roge

Boxer Insane
I'm not sure if this is the right place, so bear with me.

My good friend had a boxer wonder up to her doorstep a few days ago, collar, no tags, very rough looking (scars, very thin, flea infested, intact)
She of course fell in love with him, he's such a sweetie. She took him to the vet, had him checked for a chip, nothing found. Checked craigslist, and the animal shelters to see if anyone reported a missing pet. Nothing.She treated his fleas, got him some food, had him vaccinated.
He looks like his hip is messed up, she bought him back to the vet yesterday for xray and a thorough check over.
He is heart worm +, and has intestinal parasites. They had told her the treatment for the heart worms would be up around 2000.00. She is treating the intestinal parasites with a course of month long antibiotic.

Is there any place that would do a cheaper heart worm treatment, are there any clinics, or rescues that may work on a sliding scale.

I'm trying to give her as much information as I can with it. She really wants to keep him, she was very torn this morning when I spoke to her.

Any advice that can be recommended to help would be very greatly appreciated.
Thx.

Just wondering how your friend got on . I hope she got a good deal on the heart worm treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.