Feeding urine neutralizers to prevent lawn burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbers_Mama

Boxer Pal
We are getting ready to sod our back yard and would like to keep our boxer from killing the lawn when she pees. We have contemplated putting her on the urine neutralizers you can buy at the stores...I am worried that they aren't safe because they can throw off the PH Balance in the urine which can be very harmful to your dog. Has any one ever used a urine neutralizer or any one have any good information on it? I have also heard that feeding them tomato juice can help and that sounds more natural & safe to me. If any one knows of any natural remedies please let me know.

Timbers_Mama

Boxer Pal
What I read about the tomato juice said 1 -2 tbs per day but then I have also heard that tomatos are toxic to dogs....I am not sure what to believe!

Timbers_Mama

Boxer Pal
I have done some more research and also talked to a local organic pet store, they said the tomato sauce works great and it is only the seeds in tomatos that cause a problem and that tomato sauce or paste is ok for them. I have also found some prior postings that say to use pure organic apple cider vinegar. I will try one of these. The pet store also had something called Dog Rocks which you can put in their water bowl and it releases some kind of organic material into the water which helps with the dying grass. If the vinegar or tomato sauce doesn't work I may try the dog rocks.

Timbers_Mama

Boxer Pal
WOW! Thanks for letting me know, did not know about that. I swear, everything is bad for us now a days. I think I will just stick to the pure organic apple cider vinegar. It sounds like the safest and healthiest choice. If I notice any difference I will let you all know!

Pippen

Boxer Booster
We tried the urine neutralizers pills briefly. They didn't work.

We'll give the other two ideas a shot. Any instruction? How much? How often?

Timbers_Mama

Boxer Pal
The pure organic apple cider vinegar said just a cap full in their water bowl every time you fill it up. The tomato sauce said 2 tbs in their food.

bayleighmom

Boxer Insane
We used to have this problem also. We ended up doing some landscaping in the main area the dogs pottied in right outside the door. No grass would grow so we put down landscape fabric and pea gravel(no pun intended!). Easy to keep the area clean...scoop and rinse with the hose. And no mud, dead grass or muddy feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.