1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear Cropping and Weight of Pup

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by axp113, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axp113

axp113 Boxer Booster

I am looking to get my Boxer pups ears done and he will be 11 weeks old on 2/18. We plan to do it before 12 weeks of age We will be showing him in the ring. He is about 19-20lbs now, a big guy. I know that there are weight limits if they are too small, but this particular vet prefers to have the boxer between 12-18 lbs. My question is if my Boxer is too big regarding his weight, what are the health risks for cropping the ears? This is a well known/recommended vet we are bringing him to.

thanks

Mike

2. vickilamotta

vickilamotta Boxer Pal

My vet also had the same requirements. I don't know why they want them at a certain weight - didn't ask. If you have never done this before - get prepared. It is a lot of work. I would think that the health risks could be infection afterwards and also the risk of the surgery itself. It can take 6-7 months for the ears to stand properly. My guy took about that time. I lived near the vet so I could take him weekly to have them retaped. This truly is a specialty so do your homework.

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

I know it is a personal choice and Im not judging people that like it but I dont like the croped look maybe its because its not done here in ireland not that I know off anyhow and im not used to seeing it, Is it a requirement to enable you to show your dog in USA ? if not I dont see the reasoning behind it or the need to do put a dog through it.
    However each to their owne, just asking.

4. BoozerBaby

BoozerBaby Super Boxer

At our house was at a the battle I won my husband wanted the ears done and I didn't want them done.The only reason my husband changed his mind is because a friend of ours showed him pictures of her Boxer with his ears done and they lost his whole puppyhood.My husband couldn't possibly see himself NOT rough housing with the puppy until his ears were healed so I guess I could say I won hehe I love his ears lovicon

5. axp113

axp113 Boxer Booster

We got our previous Boxer's ears done and I loved the look. So the aftercare is not an issue, I have done it before, and i know how to post and care for them. I have heard of a minimum weight requirement or age requirement, but not a weight requirement.

6. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I don't live in a country where cropping is legal either, so i'm speculating only - but I wonder if the max weight limit has to do with development (much like age) and that after a certain point, the ears are unlikely to stand.

Easiest thing is to ask the vet for the reasoning ;)

7. axp113

axp113 Boxer Booster

thanks for the replies, I left a message for the vet earlier today, so I am waiting to hear back. Just wanted to hear about some others experiences regarding this.

8. Independence

Independence Boxer Insane

Have you discussed this with your breeder? I know my vet wouldn't do Bode if he was over 11 weeks and he had to be less than 18 pounds. I know part of it is the anaesthesia and what they can use for a small dog. If you go thru with it I found a website (dobie) that had a great method for taping. We used backer rod instead of popcicle sticks. It was so much easier and safer for him when he played the backer rod would bend and not be such a weapon.

I know it is a personal choice, I like the look of cropped ears. I also know my puppies were happy and healthy and it didn't change them one bit. They played and ate and slept with no problems.

Hope you get the answers you are looking for.

9. axp113

axp113 Boxer Booster

You are correct, the weight requirements are there because of the anesthesia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.