Dublin or New York?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudgie

Super Boxer
So next year I am planning a short trip to either Dublin or NYC. If I go to NYC, then I sort of feel obligated to viist my Dad's adoptive family in Pascagoola (he grew up in the USA). And then its kind of pricey, what is Amtrak like and is it worth taking a train from NYC to New Orleans? Can it be done?
If I go to Dublin, its ALOT closer than NYC in flying time and I can have a quick few days there and back without hassle of getting visa and so forth. Need a visa for the States, which addes to stuff.

Don't know, inbetween ideas. Would actually like to meet my Dad's fam including a first cousin born and bred in US, whom I've never met face-to-face so far. Decisions!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I have never been to Dublin so naturally that would be my choice. ;) However I can offer some info about NYC and Amtrak. What time of year were you thinking? The summer in NYC can be a bit oppressive. If you going anytime other than July or August it should be fine. Tho' the fireworks on July 4th are spectacular!

As for Amtrak. I've never taken the train. It always seems to cost more than flying and takes 10 times longer to get where you are going. I checked online, a train from NYC to NOLA (New Orleans) is a 30+ hr trip. You could fly non-stop in about 3 hrs. I found round trip airfare on one of the airlines for $278, train was $388.

The two cities, or even areas of the country are very different. NYC is fast paced and lots of concrete. If you get outside NYC, the hudson river valley with it's mountains is just beautiful! The south is a bit more laid back and a lot more humid. NOLA has more color than NYC, and drinking is much more a part of life. Once outside of the city and towards Pascagoula, you get more of the bayous. Seeing an alligator is a good posibilty. I've never been to Pascagoula, so can't offer any real info there.

I am sure which ever trip you decide on you'll have a great time!

Roge

Boxer Insane
If you decide on Dublin please take a few days out to visit the west of Ireland it really is worth a visit, you could rent a car and would have motor way across to the west for a good bit of your journey and hay part of the charm of it all would be getting lost on little country roads but with the GPS now its hard to get lost.

Sansal

Boxer Insane
Dublin is awesome. And I agree, definitely take a few days to see the west coast. A few years back dh and I took the train from Dublin to Galway, which worked well. But I have also taken the greyhound bus before to travel around Ireland and never had a problem. New York is of course a great destination as well. But since your trip is going to be short I think it would be less stressful for you to travel to Ireland and you would have more time to enjoy your vacation.

Roge

Boxer Insane
Mayo,kerry and cork are also worth a visit, If you go to cork kinsale is a must and cobhe is where the titanic launched from and the have preserved the launch station it is also a must see.

Status
Not open for further replies.