1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco Salmon Grain Free

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by rockymiller, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockymiller

rockymiller Boxer Pal

I have read on this forum that Costco has Salmon Grain Free dog food for $30. It is made by Diamond who also makes TOTW. So these products may be very similar or identical.

I called my costco and they tried to look it up but couldn't find anything in their systems about it.

So my question is is this dog food in most Costcos? What is the actual name?

2. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

I found online that it is called Nature's Domain, for $28 bucks. Made by Diamond, and distributed under the name Kirkland.

I'd be curious if anyone finds it worthwhile.

3. dbetz

dbetz Completely Boxer Crazy

I just purchased a bag. I plan to mix it with the EVO Herring and Salmon to help reduce the cost of feeding my two. THere is plenty of the food at our Costco in CA.

The only hesitation is that I believe this manufacture will not guarantee that is does not use a certain preservative that I can't remember the name of (Equ....)

4. Murp.mm

Murp.mm Boxer Insane

I believe the name of the chemcial preservative is ethoxyquin. My girl was on Canidae for the past three years and over the past few months has has some stomach issues. Everything I read on ethoxyquin says that if it's in your dog food stop feeding your dog this line of food. Canidae does have it in their food in very very small quantities at least that's what they told me in an email they sent me after I inquired about it in their food. I have to say they were upfront and honest. But that finished me with that line of food or any other that has it ethoxyquin in their food. Right now I'm making my own food and she's improved significantly.

Pls. stay away from any line of food that has this chemical in it. Just google ethoxyquin and you'll get lots of info on it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. cooper22

cooper22 Boxer Booster

Not Ethoxyquin free . . .

I emailed the manufactures of this food and did receive a reply from their vet on staff. She stated that the food was not ethoxyquin free, but they do test it quite often and the levels of ethoxyquin are in the parts per million (very small). Just wanted to share what they told me.

6. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

I'd steer clear then. I have celiac's disease, and when they tell me that the gluten is only a tiny part per million, I run the other way because even a teensy amount can set off my symptoms. I'm certainly going to do the same for my pooch!

7. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Also it is not available in every Costco. When I e-mailed the manufacturer regarding it, they stated that it is in the trial phase right now that Costco wants to see how it is going to do so they are only stocking it in some of their stores and to find out if my local one(s) carried it I'd ahve to call them directly. I have 2 and I know my closest one does not. But after looking at how much I'd have to feed of it compared to what I feed of the Natural Balance grain free I decided against it as I'd be feeding a little over a cup a day more for my 2 dogs plus I would not receive the free bags that I receive through PetCo, so I don't think it ends up being as great of a deal as it sounds.

Anyway, just something to think about. Also if you want your Costco to carry it you can always put in a request, they are usually very good about listening to their members.

8. DUKEISRAD

DUKEISRAD Boxer Buddy

My parents actually have been trying ths food for our lab/chow mix.. I believe on her 2nd or 3rd bag. Their friends told them about it. Shes always had a nice shiny coat, but underneath shes always had bad itchy skin and allergies off and on. I swear already there seems to be an improvement. I feed canidae, she was on that as well before but I guess it has something to do with being grain free that its been better for her? Anyway thats the only info I know about it so far. Seems to be okay quality though? no? Im still learning! =]

9. HokieGirl

HokieGirl Boxer Buddy

West Coast

I heard this food is only on the west coast...very similar to TOTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.