1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Control Unleashed and When Pigs fly books

Discussion in 'Books' started by johann, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Any reviews of these? A local trainer offers a control unleashed class based on the book/exercises, and I'm really thinking of getting Johann enrolled in the next class. He is great onleash, but has no future as an off leash rally/obedience dog or agility because he Just Does Not Listen.

Another one I saw is "When Pigs Fly: Training Sucess with Impossible dogs". I can't tell if this one is more pet dog/manners based instead of competition focused.

Any feedback on either book?

2. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

I love the control unleashed book. I'm sure some of the basic stuff you already know but there is definitely a lot of good training advice, ideas for games etc in there. Are you thinking of signing up for the class that TR teaches? I might actually sign up for one with Happy myself. We haven't been able to continue with agility because she is so uncomfortable around the other dogs.

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

That is the class I'm thinking of. The times/days for the current classes don't work with my schedule, but I may do one this summer. Let me know how the class goes- seems like it has gotten great feedback from other students so far.

In the meantime, going to borrow Control UNleashed DVDs from my trainer and see what I can do on my own.

4. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

I love Control Unleashed! Even better if you can find a CU inspired class, as most of the exercises in the book are geared for a class setting - I have found it difficult to start from scratch, implementing them in real life situations - but the concepts are great.

When Pigs Fly was good too but it left me a little disappointed. It basically focuses on finding what your dog will work for, thinking outside the box... a "when pigs fly" kind of dog is only interested in the training game if there's something in it for them; so you might not have a food or toy motivated or handler oriented dog, but you can reward with sniffing, toys to destuff, chasing squirrels, whatever it is your dog naturally WANTS. I think it also focuses a lot on shaping/capturing behaviors instead of luring, because a "pigs fly" dog is more willing to work WITH you if they think it's their own idea, instead of being coerced into it. It's good information, I was only disappointed because a lot of the information can be readily found online. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.