1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clicking sound with jaw

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Jinnytee, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Hi ..... first time I am mum to a boxer. My 17 week old little girl has started to make a clunking / clicking noise with her jaw. It's only occasionally, and just seems random, ie:not associated with yawning, or chewing. She eats with no problems and doesn't seem bothered when chewing toys, tugging, etc, and she is happy for me to gently manipulate her mouth. She also does not have an overly pronounced underbite .... it is there, but you don't see her teeth when her mouth is closed. Just wondering if this is usual in boxers at this age, when teething is starting, or something I should be concerned about and take her to the vet.

2. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Its not her actually her jaw .....

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

What ever it is I think your besr bet is to mention it to your vet the next time you visit...it could be something to do with development and I would imagine that if she is sort of grinding it would weaken her teeth so its best to have it checked out.
    Good luck and let us know how she gets on.

4. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

I have seen dogs chatter their teeth when they are nervous or over excited.

But I would also check this with your vet. She's rather young to be having dental issues (though this could cause them), but maybe she's biting her cheek, or growing a polyp (sp?) which is unfortunately rather common in boxers.

Her jaw could also be growing abnormally in one direction causing a "slip" when she relaxes...

Yeh, I'd walk it past your vet.

Kudos for listening closely!! :)
    Try to take note of "when" it happens - right after play, during sleep, after eating, or randomly ...etc.

5. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Thanks guys- a vet visit definitely in order I think.

6. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

You know, I also just read that teeth clacking can be a sign of submissive behaviors too. I'll be interested to hear what your vet says...

7. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Hi Kisaq .... its not really clacking, as in hitting her teeth together, and its not repetetive, as in teeth chattering. Its a sliding sort of grind that ends in her teeth knocking together, just a one-off motion ..... makes me think she is trying to manouvre her teeth to get her mouth "comfy" - which is why it hit home when you said about jaw slippage. Hopefully its not that.

I have an appointment for friday ... could have been seen before then, but I really wanted her to see our favourite vet, who is very thorough, as well as absolutely lovely with the dogs.

So watch this space after friday !

Jinny.

8. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Not to scare you, but google "wry mouth" or "wry bite". It is a condition that is common in Boxers and usually shows itself within the first year. Every boxer owner should be aware of it. It results in the lower jaw growing off-set or with a twist in it.

One of the first symptoms is that the dog will change how it chews but that's not always easily observable. Upon examination, you might notice the lower teeth wearing on the upper teeth, teeth clicking or rubbing the gums while chewing.

It's unusual to notice it in a puppy so young, but keep it in mind if the clicking persists as she gets her adult teeth.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Two Dogs ... yes, I had come across Wry Mouth when googling. Hoping it isn't that, but as you say, something to bear in mind. I did some prolonged belly rubbing last night ( always results in an upside down happy open mouth ) so I was able to clearly see her top and bottom jaw and teeth. Everything looked symmetrical to my eye ... but I am no expert.

I am noticing that the frequency of the grind/click is increasing the last couple of days, which is a bit disconcerting. I cannot wait for Friday to come around now, to hopefully get some answers.

When relaxed her mouth seems to close tight to me. Never used photobucket before, so hoping this link works !

[​IMG]

10. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Another two photos- close up of mouth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.