1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canine Flu

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by boxmom, Apr 17, 2015.

1. boxmom

boxmom Boxer Insane

There has been a nasty strain of canine flu in the Midwest U.S. and they have been reporting it on the nightly news every day. They are urging folks to keep their dogs as "anti-social" as possible, and many doggie day cares and dog parks have closed. I'm afraid to take Fred to our usual walking location as it is frequented by many other dogs. Hope this thing fades out quickly! http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-299861131.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Like most things, I'm not worried about this and feel like it's just being blown out of proportion. As with human flu strains, the very young/old/immune compromised are at most risk, and for most healthy dogs it's not going to be a life threatening illness. We're carrying on with our lives like usual. :)

3. boxmom

boxmom Boxer Insane

I am sure it is over hyped, but I'm not taking any chances. This is a new strain...my friend's healthy husky got the flu a couple years ago and it was horrible. The dog survived, but it was weeks of illness and I.V. treatments. I think a lot of people don't have the sense to keep their sick dogs home.

4. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

Check out. Dog naturally magazine canine flu. Interesting read.

5. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  6. boxmom

boxmom Boxer Insane

Very good article. It is so hard to know when treatments are necessary for our pets because so many opportunists out there ready to cash in. I think you have to have the mindset that "you" really are the one who knows best for your pet and sometimes you have to go with your gut. Years ago I totally believed in the vets--would do anything they said for my pets--they knew best. They know best, but they are also looking to make a buck too...I recently changed vets, after a long 20 year relationship, for this very reason. The straw that broke the camels back was them not wanting to re-fill a prescription for my dying dog without me bringing her in for a full blood panel first. It was a diuretic! A drug only providing comfort in her final days.