1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I pee now? How about now?

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Althea, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

Hey, y'all!

I have a weird issue, and the vet doesn't know what to suggest, as there's nothing physically wrong with my boxer.

Suki (see puppy photo in profile) is going to be seven this year. Potty training has always been a trial for us, but she finally (finally!) has it down, and has for about a year. She had it 85-90%, but her signals for going out are staring really hard at you. Which is great, if you are looking at her. If not...well, she'd promptly (and I do mean promptly) pee or poop. The last year or so, she's finally gotten it to about 99%--we've only had one or two accidents, and those were because something scared her (thunderstorm, bag fell off the table).

She's a sweetheart, very food-oriented, and surprisingly good at learning commands. When we first started potty training, she would ring a bell...but then she rang the bell ALL THE TIME. So we stopped using the bell. Now she's great about pacing and staring really hard. :) Which works, and she even knows which door to go to--back for pee, front for poop (we live in an urban area).

But...Suki has to pee 8-12 times per day. She doesn't have a UTI--she has before, and we've addressed it and all was well. We've run batteries of tests--nada. As far as the vet(s) can tell, she's healthy as a horse. (We've recently treated her for a UTI, just in case--nope.)

Yet...in a two hour span, she'll ask to go out 3-4 times. I work from home, so...yeah. Ready to pull my hair out. She doesn't drink too much water, but she does think she has to drink all the water in the bowl, so we have to monitor that, or else she'll puke it back up. (You know, I never had this problem with my mutt...why can't I stay away from boxers?! Oh, right, 'cause *smooshy*!) I've had that with all my boxers.

When we go out, she does pee, but often, it's just enough to justify a true pee--not a dribble.

When crated, she can hold her bladder for 8-10 hours, no problem (overnight, for example, or even when I've had a long work day out of the house).

My theory is that she's asking to go out because she's bored--and I can't say I blame her. But it's driving me nuts, and I don't want to keep her in her crate when I'm home, though that's what I have to do to get work done sometimes (I am a graphic designer and have ADHD--so focus is challenging and highly required).

We walk her, play with her, have chewies which she loves. But she wants YOU 24/7, and my husband tends to be very, very docile with them and give in to whatever they want. (She has a little sister who's a mutt--she has no issues like this).

Advice? Anyone else have this issue? What could I be doing that might be encouraging this? Because I can't ignore her when she's pacing--and she's finally so good about giving us signals, I don't want to risk her regressing.

I should also note: I often consult with people, which are 90-minute calls, and if I'm busy and can't respond, she goes and lays down and waits. But if I'm not otherwise engaged and dare to look at her, she paces and then will whine and bark to get my attention. So clearly--she thinks this is serious. :)

Suki
    Boxer, white
    Raised since 11 weeks
    11/27/09
    65 pounds (muscular and lanky)
    Health issues:
    Allergies; blown coat on rear flanks--permanent, not seasonal alopecia; suspected thyroid issue, but was marginal and meds did little to help, so with vet's permission, we stopped and adjusted with supplements with greater results; anxiety issues as did her mother and siblings, but very manageable; some crate aggression towards strangers, but fine when loose in house; mouths men's hands and can be nippy--anxious response, likely due to my ex-husband

2. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

Have you tried walk her for longer amounts of time so she is to tired to move lol.
    I have an 18 month old pup. He would do the same thing bug and bug to go out. He is bored, so I walk him 3 times a day at least 45min too 1hour in the early am. Than in the afternoon 30 to 45 mins than in the evening 45min to 1 hr. A tired out boxer is a non bugging boxer for us.

LoveMyDoggie likes this.
  3. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

I agree with all of this!

4. rena

rena Boxer Booster

Have you considered doggie daycare? I work from home when not traveling I have taken all my boxers to daycare - I typically do a 1/2 day (which is lesser charge). I get a few hours of uninterrupted work or quiet for conference calls and they come home a little worn out and not as needy.

My first boxer - Roxy - would "fake pee" when she wanted out or if I wanted her to potty and didn't have to - she would squat and then look at me to see if I was watching. I only mention this because they are very smart and can learn to manipulate our behaviors to suit their needs/wants.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

She's pretty well exercised, but for a boxer, that's not saying much. She's not particularly friendly with other pooches in groups, so daycare is not a possibility. Pondering it today, I'm wondering if a food puzzle (those toys that are quite challenging) might help. She's been like this a LONG time, but since I've worked from home for the last two years, it's really wearing thin. When I was gone all day, she was fine when I came home and walked. But with me home all the time, it's lik she's bored in the mornings. By evening, she settles down and snores. ;)

6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like she is bored. Those food puzzle toys might work great to keep her occupied.

7. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

How long do you walk her? Does she play frisbee or fetch a ball? We also made a flirt pole. Good fast exercise, that can be done in a short amount of time. Google how to make one.

Hate to say it sounds like she has you trained, just like my dogs have me trained to get up at 5am every day ugh. Also to walk at the same time every day. Sometime we are better trained than them lol

8. Mega's Mom

Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

I'm sorry, I have nothing to add. I just think this is hiliarious! lol

rena likes this.