Branch chewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

exk23

Super Boxer
I was just wondering if any of your furbabies chews on tree branch? We have a small flowering tree, which I don't know the name of, in the back yard, right now it's all branches. The other day I saw Ruby jumping to catch one of the branch and broke it off so that he can chew it. He did this several times jumping and catching and jumping and catching. He looked like he was trying to get a fruit off a tree.

E

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Megan eats branches from the trees in the yard and from the flowers by the house. I think she thinks she is part beaver. I'm always afraid that the branches to the flowers will make her sick so I try to discourage her from doing it but I'm sure when I'm not looking she is over there.

tanyaj77

Completely Boxer Crazy
My Boz does the same thing, he gets into the little twiggy trees and bites off the branches so he can chew them. This did make him sick one time, so I try and keep him away but I swear he is Houdinis brother and he always manages to sneak over there foolicon You gotta love those furbabies though smashicon

Caroplourde

Boxer Pal
evilicon I've got two small apple trees in my yard, they are just starting to grow apples. The other day I was looking out and I could see the top of the tree moving back and forth, when I looked down to figure out the cause for this I could see my Luka sitting in the snow, chewing off the lower branch! smashicon

I've got a small tree with falling branches, he lies on his back and chews the end of all the branches. nonoicon I've tried the bitter lotion but this has no effect on him. This summer I plan to close off the part were the trees are with some kind of fence, I will also be more present when he is in the yard and not let him alone for too long. I want to eat the raspberries that will grow this summer but I don't know if they will have time to get picked once he figures out that they are sweet!:p

Scorpio

Boxer Insane
Do you know how good this makes me feel! I thought only my rottie did this. No other dogs around here eat lumber!:LOL: Now Ozzy is starting to do it too. A tree anything that sticks out of the ground, the only thing is Ozzy breaks it but Ryker eats it all, if you throw a stick for him he will eat it. Twice he has had a piece stick to the top of his mouth crosswise and I had to get it out, it was lodged there so tight. Scary, If anybody finds out a solution to stop this let me know. Ozzy is getting good, I tell him no, and he stops till he finds another one. But, Ryker just eats it as fast as he can, he also loves to eat textiles and cardboard.smashicon

monty'smum

Completely Boxer Crazy
our garden holds a variety of sticks that Monty has brought home from his walks. I always make him leave them outside but he does try to sneak the odd one in. Only last week he found a ball and brought that home, he carried it for about three miles, and when we got home he placed it with his collection of sticks outside. I told him it was ok to bring a ball inside just not the smelly dirty sticks housing who knows what little creachers,LOL.

I do try to stop him jumping up at the trees, though, to break off the branches. He jumps so high I'm terrified he will fall and hurt himself badly one day.smashicon

P's Poppa

Boxer Booster
Don't know what our azalea bushes will be like this spring, Prince has torn them up :( . He also holds rocks in his mouth and brings them in the house to play with :(

CC

Completely Boxer Crazy
Glad it's not just us! We have 2 lilac bushes that we had to wrap with chicken wire last summer. Well now that she's all grown up and the snow has melted, she can reach over the wire and has begun nibbling on the tips of the branches again. AND she has taken to leaping up to grab branches off our crabapple tree and then she runs around the yard with them.

Any thoughts on how to discourage this? We generally go out with her but she hates coming in so we have been letting her play by herself a bit.

We thought Max was studying horticulture! He will drag rose bushes, large tree limbs and firewood into our family room if we leave the sliding door open while we are gone for a short time. He then proceeds to strip the bark off the limbs, shake the dirt off the rose bush roots and distribute this evenly all over the room. If he has enough time, he will disect his couch pillow and shake the stuffing out on top of all of this. When we get home of course he is standing in the middle of this mess looking very happy and pleased with himself. We can't believe how he can get so much done in an hour or less. Guess that is why Boxers are classed in the working group.

McGehee1

Super Boxer
My two hadn't seemed to be interested up to this point, but I "babysat" for my friends two boxers last week and they proceeded to prune our ficus trees that have grown into a privacy screen along the end of our porch. WE thought they were find the way they were, but apparently Tank and Trixie thought differently! smashicon smashicon :p We had ficus all over our back yard. Hubby was a little disturbed...:rolleyes: Now, I'm sure my two probably thought that was pretty fun...they better not even think about continuing that bad habit! They usually like to run around with and chew on the sticks in the yard, though. Roughage, I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.