Bragging about the baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIboxermom

Boxer Pal
Our baby Henry (10 months) is 5 weeks into his first obedience class. Today the teacher of the advanced class came over and asked us to take her class with a goal of doing Rally in the spring. We hadn't even considered formal competition. We were just hoping to make it through level one with a minimum amount of embarrassment (he is a boxer after all!) Something to ponder over the holidays, and something to tell my teenage sons who call him Demon Spawn!

johann

Boxer Insane
Rally is awesome and fun! Way more fun than it sounds like it would be. :)

I know another poster has competed in rally with their boxer (CHarliePapper?), and I compete with my boy as well. I get a lot of comments about how few boxers compete in rally or obedience...but he's slowly learning that the signs and cones are not toys. :LOL:

MIboxermom

Boxer Pal
I've done a little reading on it, and it looks like fun. I definitely like the on leash part! I can't seem to find a list of what is required for beginning though. Do you know of a site that lists what is required? Thanks!

johann

Boxer Insane
What type of rally do they do? There are 3 different venues for it (AKC, APDT, and UKC) that you can compete in. A lot of the exercises are the same for the 3 different venues, but are introduced at various levels. Johann and I do APDT, we may dabble in AKC next summer depending on dates and $$. We have our Rally level 1 title, but are struggling with moving up to being off leash (level 2 and 3). He can do all the exercises....but thinks no leash=freedom. :LOL: So we get pictures like this: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/kateandcoco/johannrallypic.jpg

Rally Obedience for All Dogs! You can click through the links and find the different signs for each level and the rulebook will explain what each sign means. In APDT, you are allowed to use treats in the ring at certain exercises, but can only give each command once (points off for each additional command).

American Kennel Club - AKC Rally® No treats allowed in the ring, can give commands multiple times with no points off.

United Kennel Club: FLASH! The Rally Obedience Rules are now available! Pretty sure treats are allowed, no points off for multiple commands. But, the speed of responding is a factor.

One of the biggest thing that he'll need to know is how to heel while paying attention to you. Do a lot of sitting at heel with solid eye contact- click and treat when he looks at you. Gradually increase the amount of time he was to stare at you to get the treat. Then start taking 1 step and having him keep eye contact. Click and treat. And so on...until he is consistently looking at you (or at least checking in every few steps) while walking. Work really hard on getting an automatic sit when you stop moving while he's heeling.
Having a solid hand target can help him learn the fronts, pivots, and finishes pretty quickly too.

I had a really hard time figuring out what each sign meant, but they make sense once you see them done and try them yourself. Level 1 signs are rather boring (IMO), but the level 2 and 3 get interesting (jumps, weave through food bowls, leave and call front while running, leave dog and recall). We've had a ton of fun with it and it keeps Johann amused and thinking. :)

MIboxermom

Boxer Pal
I think they do AKC. There's a show this weekend but it's such short notice that I won't be able to go. I love the picture with the sign! That's exactly what I picture Henry doing. He also has cone issues. For some reason they have to be jackhammered. We're working on it! He's doing really well on heeling with attention in class but I know for a fact that with an audience he'll turn into a goofball. He loves making people laugh.

Thanks for the links. I'll be spending my weekend reading up on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.