Boxzilla?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOoSmOotH

Boxer Pal
My wife is friends with a Vet tech on facebook who thinks our dog is a boxzilla. I guess its something to do with boxers being bread for size instead of temperment but I can find nothing on the internet about it. Is this a real thing? Bruiser's mom was about 50 pounds and his daddy was around 85 pounds. I think he currently weighs 110 pounds. He has always just been a very tall muscular dog and has a typical boxer personality. Is this vet tech on something or are there such a thing?

Bathel

Super Boxer
The weight of the Mom is actually a tad bit undersized, although the Dad is a good bit heavy... although I'm not sure there is a set weight range for show boxers, most sites I've seen listed femals at 21-24" female/ 22-25" Male and 53-65lbs female/ 60-70 lbs male. I wouldn't say your boy was breed for size being the Mom so small weight, do you know their height?

At 110 lbs, you sure have a very heavy boy. How tall is your boy?

whiskers

Boxer Insane
I've never heard the term, but it is a "real thing" in the sense that yes - there are breeders out there that breed boxers (and other breeds) to be massive. Boxers are not "large" dogs, they are supposed to be medium sized. At 110lbs that's almost double the weight that most boxers are, but I don't know how tall he is or how he's built. I mean, that's like the weight of a great dane or a mastiff, but his weight is probably distributed differently so that he's not actually great dane sized.

Is this breeder purposely breeding FOR larger size, maybe not since Mom is a pretty typical female size. But at 85lbs, Dad is likely "too big." At best, this breeder is just breeding out-of-standard boxers but it doesn't mean they only care about size, and that they don't care about temperament.

entelekia

Super Boxer
Can you post some pictures of your dog? That would be the best way to tell.

A boxer at 110lbs, if it's not overweight, is nowhere near the standard (that doesn't mean it isn't a great dog, btw, so please don't get offended). As it's been mentioned, boxers are supposed to be a medium size breed. There are a lot of "backyard breeders" out there that might not be aware of the standard, or not care about it, and prefer a more mastiff look to their dogs (they might even be mixing with mastiff).

My dog Laika came from a BYB and her nose is longer than a boxer's should be. She's also leaner and way more graceful, almost hound-like in her movements. She's a great dog, but is physically nowhere near the standard.

TOoSmOotH

Boxer Pal
I got him from a BYB but I didn't get the feeling that he was being bread for size. We really didn't even talk about it. Like I said the momma was dainty.. dad was on the larger size. From a temperament perspective he was just like the female I had at the time. Always wanting to play etc. I just think he is big I had just never heard the term.

On Guard in the back yard:

imgur: the simple image sharer

Nap Time:

Back to school protest:

entelekia

Super Boxer
Ah... his head looks a tad large... but (and again please don't take offense) he does look to be a little "hefty" :)

On boxers, you generally want to see the last 2 ribs on each side on a "normal posture". They should have quite the belly tuck both from the top view and the side view.

Here's some more info: Judging The Boxer: General Appearance

Ps. Your little boy in the napping picture is ADORABLE!

TOoSmOotH

Boxer Pal
When he was in prime shape he was still 100 pounds. This summer has been so hot we just haven't had a chance to exercise as much. Record heat here most of the summer and even at night it was 85 degrees and humid. But yes he has a little fluff on him that could go. :)

This is him when he was a puppy compared to my other boxer at the time. His front shoulders are way higher than the females.

And if you liked that one with my son here is another:

entelekia

Super Boxer
And if you liked that one with my son here is another:

lovicon

That is the cutest thing.

Yeah that action picture is more like it. :) He "should" be taller than a female, the dang heat just needs to let up so he can get back in shape. A 90 lbs boxer, while still too big, is not unheard of.

Personally, I like to keep mine on the leaner (borderline "thin") side... just due to boxers' joint issues, early onset arthritis and the like. I've gotten comments from people ("oh my god she's so skinny!") but I ignore all of them. Laika is 10.5 years old and does not have an ounce of arthritis. See my thread "Old lady play".

Bruiser does have some delicious face wrinkles though. I would smush those all day long.

janmark

Boxer Buddy
I love love love that kissy face picture with your son!! As for size I feel it's luck of the draw. My baby is female and she is 78lbs of lean muscle and she is quite tall. I crack up when she is around other boxers because most of them look minature compared to her.

TOoSmOotH

Boxer Pal
Yea.. that is how I have always felt with my dog as well. I guess I just got a little bent out of shape when they went on this diatribe about how we are ruining the breed etc etc. I was like we are not breeding him.. We got him cause he was cute.

Here are some with him when my daughter was a baby:

And here he is the day we brought him home wanting to drink out of the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.