Boxers in the HEAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxtercruz

Boxer Booster
It doesn't get THAT hot here, but on our hottest days I fill up Baxter's kiddie pool- he likes to drink out of the hose, and then he will run through the pool- I make him stand there and I gently splash water on him, careful to avoid the face- he likes to splash his feet, but not so much on the body. It definitely cools him down though. Of course then he wants to do a lap or two around the yard, in the dirt....

beausmommy

Boxer Insane
It has been in the upper 90s here for the past few days. Fortunately, I have an extremely lazy boxer who requires little exercise. He normally burns around the back yard a few times while I water my flowers after work and that is the extent of his exercise on hot days. He's normally panting at the door ready to go in by that point.

Sablegirl

Super Boxer
I have a fairly lazy boxer too. When it is hot like it is now 94+ she runs outside does her business and is back boxing the door letting me know that it's time to come in. Our porch is shaded and she sometimes gets tired of being in the house all day and will stretch out on the porch, but only for short periods of time. Neither of us does heat very well.

IkesMyDog

Boxer Buddy
A bonus I've noticed with the kiddy pool is cleaner paws and less dirt in the house.

Good tips everyone. Ike likes the spinkler so that helps us get out and run in the yard a bit.

argosrocks

Super Boxer
my dog will walk about a block,and then just sit down for a break he gets so hot,so we have been going swimming alot on the lake i live on,unfortunately,i researched giardia and now am freaked out about letting him swim,so perhaps ill have to rely on the treadmill that i use in the winter for his primary routine when it gets so hot,we had a heat index of 109 here with 80 percent humidity ,so its like a sauna.

IkesMyDog

Boxer Buddy
my dog will walk about a block,and then just sit down for a break he gets so hot,so we have been going swimming alot on the lake i live on,unfortunately,i researched giardia and now am freaked out about letting him swim,so perhaps ill have to rely on the treadmill that i use in the winter for his primary routine when it gets so hot,we had a heat index of 109 here with 80 percent humidity ,so its like a sauna.

Dogs can get Beaver Fever?

A Lady I work with said her dog got an allergic reaction from something in the water (she said swimmers itch). The dog got so puffy it couldn't breathe that they took it to the emergancy vet where a shot of benedryl turned her around.

silly24boxer

Super Boxer
My older boxer use to walk part way down the pool steps to cool her self off in the water. Now Gauge refuses too get near the pool. So we pick him up all 80lb and carry him in. He doesn't like to much but after he is out he feels alot better. I have only been walking him early in the morning so far which is a big change from 3 walks a day but he just gets too hot.

RoxiesEcho

Boxer Insane
This week has been pretty hot here in Ohio too, with pretty high humidity. We just don't take the dogs out too much during the day. When I get home from work around 5:30 pm I let them out to do their business then we come back in until around 8:00 pm then go outside for a little exercise. Last night it was 83 degrees in the house at midnight so DH made me turn on the a/c. They were all laying around but once the temperature dropped to around 75, Bella was up and wanting to play. Nothing worse than a rowdy boxer rough housing with a JRT at 1:30 am!

Status
Not open for further replies.